Re: NVDA stable release fails to update on a friend's machine

Brian's Mail list account

Actually when it begins to occur, I often find the next casualty in Windows is context menus. Then you need to do as you say, log out and back in. I think its Windows related myself.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 7:50 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA stable release fails to update on a friend's machine

Hello Quentin,

I'll ask my friend to check if the UAC dialog is not hiding behind some other window. I know that not answering with "Yes" to that dialog will result in NVDA failing to update, because I've experienced it myself a few years ago.

And I've noticed too that sometimes NVDA fails to read the UAC dialog even with an installed copy of NVDA and the only solution in such a case (though not a permanent one) is to log off from the system and log in back again or restart it. It hasn't occurred to me recently though, so I'm guessing that it was something on Microsoft's side and it may have been fixed with one of the last cumulative updates for Windows 10.

______
Best wishes,
Kostadin Kolev

На 19.6.2018 г. в 9:38, Quentin Christensen написа:

A few people have been having trouble with the UAC dialog - the dialog which Windows pops up when you install anything - often this dialog seems to pop up behind every other window and you need to either ALT+TAB through everything, or press ALT+SHIFT+TAB to get to it.

Some users have reported that the dialog doesn't always read correctly, even on an installed copy of NVDA. I haven't replicated that or seen a solution at this stage.

Regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 4:34 PM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi,

Could you mind pasting the log fragment here, as this forum does not accept attachments? Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

Â

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kostadin Kolev
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2018 11:27 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA stable release fails to update on a friend's machine

Â

Hello all,

A friend of mine has reported to me that his copy of NVDA (the stable release) fails to update. I think he tried to update from 2018.1 to 2018.1.1 and then to 2018.2 and each time NVDA fails to update and tells him to check the log file for details. I'm attaching the log file to this message - hope it helps to diagnose what is the problem in this case.

Thanks much in advance!

______
Best wishes,
Kostadin Kolev

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.orgÂ

Facebook:Â http://www.facebook.com/NVAccessÂ
Twitter: @NVAccessÂ

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.