Re: braille me display not quite ready

Fernando Apan

Hi. Thanks a lot for sharing this note. It will be very useful for those of us thinking on geting a braille me display...
Cheers.

Fernando Apan.

El 23/06/2018 a las 08:19 a.m., Josh Kennedy escribió:
here are all the reasons why braille me is not ready. note, this is also a google doc that i shared with innovision themselves.
Note: if blind, turn on all or total punctuation in your screen reader in order to read this document.
1. the five braille problem characters and capitalized letters or uppercase letters.
a. Currently for showing dot 4, dots 4-5, dots 2-4-6, dots 1-2-4-5-6, and dots 1-2-5-6, braille me expects to see @ ^ [ ] \ ... But many translators use ` ~ { } |  ... Braille me should also recognise these characters...
b. Braille me if it sees `~{}| it just shows empty cells or spaces.
c. Braille me shows empty cells for lowercase letters. Braille me should recognise lowercase letters because many translators use these, such as Braille Blaster.
D. When searching for text if for example, you want to find the word Tower. Braille me should, to be sure it finds what you want, it should look for: ,t[]  ,T[]  ,t{}    and ,T{} …
2. suppress or remove all white space.
a. extra carriage returns, blank pages in braille ready or embosser ready files, and multiple blank spaces take up space on 20 cell displays. Add menu options that when turned on will suppress extra space.
3. page navigation.
a. Braille me should have page movement commands. Move by page should be defined as: move back or forward 1000 (one thousand) characters or until a formfeed character is encountered.
4. custom Bookmarks.
a. Add ability to add, clear, and jump to your own custom bookmarks in files.
5. Add ability to write in computer braille or raw text or .txt. There is no dot 7 so to compensate for this, make all uppercase computer braille letters blink up and down. blink time should be configurable.
a. NVDA when using expand to computer braille should also have capital letters blink up and down.
6. NVDA.
a. blinking capital letters.
b. ability to write in braille into the computer.
c. ability to control computer with braille display keyboard, commands for function keys, alt, control, and so on.
7. display emulation.
a. to work with jaws and other screen readers and devices, add option to emulate a Baum vario ultra 20 display, or baum displays. this should work with both USB and bluetooth, and be HID compliant.
8. adding languages.
a. add ability and documentation for adding languages. example, I want braille me's interface to be in German, or Icelandic braille. and I want to read braille and write in German or Icelandic braille in the editor. Or in Chinese and Japanese braille if I wish.
9. turn off all beeps and audio tones and audio indications.
a. the beeps are very loud and will be distracting in class, business and church environments. Add a menu option to turn these off. All beeps and audio tones emitted by braille me should have the ability to be completely turned off. Whether braille me is being turned on, shut down, errors occur. if braille me restarts or has a big error... no beeps should be heard. Braille me should be completely silent when beeps are off.
10. better documentation for editing date and time. I had to play with braille me and teach myself how to edit date and time. explain to the user, first use cursor router buttons to place the cursor on the first number, use navigation buttons to set the first number. use cursor router buttons to move to the next number and edit it until time and date are set the way you wish and then press enter or dot8.
11. When braille me turns on it displays “menu”,
And then you have to press “enter” before navigating. To save time, as soon as Braille Me turns on, let us navigate right away. Also add first letter navigation, f, for file manager, s for settings and all menu options that start with s. To edit time easier, let us enter time and date using the braille keyboard such as: “#20:30  using dropped numbers and dots 1-5-6 for colon… In other words, computer braille.
12. Ability to create, rename, and delete folders.
1. Ability to cut, copy and paste files into and out of user-created folders.
13. Inconsistent dot height.
1. Many dots are higher and lower than other dots. Additionally, some dots are at a slight angle in relation to other dots. Also when blank cells are created such as for spaces, or the absence of dots in order to create letters, example: If I write the letter m, dots 1-3-4… dots 2, 5, 6 stick out above the faceplate perhaps by one or two millimeters. This makes reading difficult. Please if you have to re-design braille me to make this change, but make it so that if dots are not needed such as in the letter m, dots 1-3-4, where dots 2-5-6 are not needed, same goes for spaces, that they are completely below the faceplate so that unused dots are not even felt or touched by the user.