Re: accessibility training is important too.

On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 03:37 pm, Shaun Everiss wrote:
You'd think they didn't know their products sometimes.
Back to my comment a moment ago on scripts - sometimes these are literal so sometimes your presumption is correct.  As Jackie observed, "Those folks generally are just a bunch of script readers. They can't go past it because they don't have the knowledge (& sometimes wherewithal) to go further."  Also, you tend to get a lot of "least skilled" people pitched behind tech support desks, which is the diametrical opposite of what should be done, but I get the business tension with regard to putting your best technicians (some of whom, but not all of whom, lack people skills) in a customer service position where most of what they know will not be needed on any routine basis.

I make a point of doing post-service surveys whenever they are offered with regard to experiences with technical support.  I have often said that technical support is frequently neither technical nor supportive.   When I get someone who's one or the other, but not both, that feedback is given.   When I get an exemplar of someone who integrates both things and has "people skills" wrapped up with it they get that feedback, too.

Really good technical support people are as rare as hen's teeth and the really good ones should be identified by those served so they can get the recognition and, I hope, monetary reward that they so justly deserve.