From: "Jason White via Groups.Io" <jason=jasonjgw.net@groups.io>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2018 5:40 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] New release system and new snapshot names from Mick

It's encouraging that NV Access is making progress toward greater automated regression testing, improved code review procedures, and a better release process.

´╗┐On 7/4/18, 07:39, "Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

A reply from Mick. I have also added my comments to Josephs translations
sub line earlier as it really does not flag up the extent this change may
affect normal users of snapshots here .

===
He writes:
Hi Brian,

I appreciate your constructive feedback. We will certainly think about
your proposal and see what we can manage.

Although we have published the new process, we have not yet removed any
branches or switched anyone over, so we can still make some changes
before committing to this fully.

The reasons for sticking with the name master for the default
development branch are:

1. We don't want to break existing pull requests which are currently
open against master. There are more than 40 or so.

2. We don't want new contributors submitting pull requests against an
old (defunct) version of master (if we do move).

3. master is the generally accepted name for the default branch of git
repositories for most projects on github.

There may be another way to solve this specifically for snapshots. I'll
have to research this further.

We will wait for more feedback and think on this more.

Mick

But,

On 4/07/2018 4:59 PM, Brians old account via Nvda-devel wrote:
> While I can see the reasoning for this change. I do think that a number of
> us are going to have to do the following. When the Next becomes master, we
> are going to have a period when the new beta branch does not exist, Now
> taking my own case as a for instance. I currently use master as my working
> version though I of course do have a portable of the latest stable
> version, That will mean if I do nothing result in effectively my master
> becoming next, which means my normal copy is now bleeding edge code. I may
> have to wait till the new beta is created for the ability to change this
> around, and make next master and master beta. Would it not be more
> sensible to just remove master, and use next as you propose master is to
> be, then create a new beta when applicable?
> That way folk used to using master as pretty stable will not be affected.
> They will stay on master, then when a new beta comes out they will be
> migrated to this for their working versions.
> if you want users to participate, as I think is a good thing, in my view
> the proposal I outline above will carry more people with you. also please
> remember to formerly tell people on the user list about what you are doing
> so you do not suddenly find a lot of folk with problems.
> I do realise that there are now a lot more checks done automatically, but
> in the end its the user that will be running the code more than anyone
> else, and feedback from that cohort of people is worth its weight in gold.
> we all know that many programmers are the worst testers as they are
> predictable. its the newbie and the less confident user who finds the
> bugs.
> So what do you think?
>
> Brian
>
> bgaff@lineone.net