Re: ocr with latest nvda on win7-64

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

This is off my how to install additional  components page.

Written stuff is below. I think there is a audio one but not on that page.

How to install and use the OCR plugin for NVDA
To give the new experimental OCR plugin (that Jamie created) a whirl,
you will need to download the plugin
from http://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/ocr.en.html and unzip the
file.  It will make a directory called OCR.  This will need to be copied
and pasted into the global plugin directory.

The easiest way to find out where to put the OCR plugin for the
installer version, (and once you have copied the OCR directory), is to
press the Windows key. Your start menu will come up. Go to programmes,
then another set of menus will come up with all of the programmes on
your PC. Once this comes up, find a menu called NVDA. Once there, a
submenu will come up and you will need to find one called explore user
configuration directory. Next, press enter. There will be some folders
in there and you will need to find one called global plugins. Paste the
OCR plugin into that directory. This is where other plugins will go for
the installer version.

For the portable version, the OCR plugin will have to be put into the
following directory: nvda...user configuration...global plugins. Make
sure that you paste the plugin for the portable version into that directory.

You will need to reload the plugins, by going to reload plugins under
the tools section in NVDA. (Insert N...tools...reload plugins). You will
also need to reload NVDA to update your settings. The object you are
going to scan must be in focus otherwise it will not work.  If you are
unsure, go to running locations and locate the item and press enter to
put you into focus.  To OCR the item (for example a pdf that has not
been done), use the Insert key and the letter r to start it.  It will
say performing OCR,  then say done.  To read what has been written
there, you will need to change over to the review cursor to read the
contents of that document.  Please read the section called reviewing
text in the user manual if you are unsure.  The information given back
to you will vary from scanned image to image, depending on the quality
of the things you have scanned. Please refer to step 4 above if needed.
Currently, the OCR only works with the snapshots.
Reviewing the text within your OCR'd document
NVDA allows you to read the contents of the current navigator object
(including flat review) by character, word or line using the numeric
keypad. This is mostly useful in places (including Windows command
consoles) where there is no system caret. For example, you might use it
to review the text of a long information message in a dialogue.
Reviewing text by character, word or line
To help you remember these commands, note that the basic text review
commands are organized in a grid of three by three, with top to bottom
being line, word and character and left to right being previous, current
and next. Using the numpad keys requires the NumLock key to be turned
off to work properly. Using your numeric keypad, the following are
reported by pressing the appropriate numbers:
Previous line 7
Current line 8
Next line 9
Previous word 4
Current word 5
Next word 6
Previous character 1
Current character 2
Next character 3
For a full list of other text review related commands (for example
report text formatting or copy from review cursor etcetera), please
refer to the Reviewing Text section in the user manual.

Gene nz

On 7/6/2018 2:36 AM, Rusty Perez wrote:
Hi folks,
I have the ocr addon installed but when I press nvda/R NVDA reports
that it is performing ocr, but I don't know what to do next.
When it is finished, I seem to be back in the exact same place where I started.
I'm trying to read a screen shot provided on a page of instructions.

Any help using OCR with NVDA would be appreciated since I'm also
trying to use software which may only be accessible using OCR..

thanks!
Rusty