Re: I've had it with Firefox

Dave Grossoehme

You could have a valid point on video cards or even sound cards.  It's known that different processors make a difference on what software is running

Insider Dave

On 6/29/2018 4:52 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Gene,

This whole issue with Firefox is odd, but since I have seen no complaints about Firefox sluggishness or unresponsiveness from sighted people, the issue has to be somehow related to screen reader usage and/or the way JAWS, NVDA and other screen readers interface with Firefox under very complex conditions.  I am still wondering about video card or internal video chips conflicts. I know everyone at Freedom Scientific/VFO used to get mad at me when I worked for them every time something like this would happen with a program--wherein some people had no issues and others had several issues.  I would bring up video card/chip conflicts of issues and they would yell at me that all such issues involving screen readers (in the words of the old gospel song) it was all settled long ago.  Still, I wonder!

On 6/29/2018 5:10 AM, Gene wrote:
this discussion needs perspective, in my opinion.

Which version of firefox is inefficient with memory?  According to a review I read of the new Firefox, it is much more efficient with memory.  and efficient or not, no browser is going to require that a computer have 4 or 5gb of RAM to work.

and the slowness is, as far as I can reasonably infer, because of unresolved accessibility issues.  Since there are very conflicting reports, with some people being very pleased with the new Firefox and others not, we'll have to see how things work out over time.  Something unknown is evidently causing a wide disparity.

If you read reviews by sighted reviewers, the new Firefox is very fast and is now a realistic competitor to Chrome.

Regarding privacy, according to one or two reviews, Firefox is now better at protecting privacy, or providing options to do so, than Chrome.

Waterfox is based on an ESR version of Firefox.  it's a small operation and how well it will keep up with security fixes that are necessary is, as far as I can see, not known.  How will it keep up in general?  If it bases itself on ESR versions of Firefox, and with a new ESR version of Firefox coming out within about a week or less, are all the advantages you like in Waterfox going to disappear?  the new ESR version of firefox, on which Waterfox is based, will be a quantum version.  We'll see what it is like and how people comment on it here.

There is, at present, far too much that isn't known about future developments.  A strong antiFirefox bias predisposes against making the best choices in future and may cause people not to pay attention to future developments as soon as they might, thus, perhaps, delaying benefiting from future advantages.

Sent: Friday, June 29, 2018 3:31 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] I've had it with Firefox

Blimey, I only have 8 gigs of ram. You can with the resource monitor add on
see very clearly that Firefox is not very efficient at processor or memory
use most of the time. I have an I5 and its been unthrottled too.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-