Re: new member with tons of question on NVDA.

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

Have you already got a copy of nvda already? if not you will need to get a copy from http://www.nvaccess.org

It can be found under the downloads section.

To get into the preferences of NVDA after it has been started it is the nvda key + letter N then arrow down to help and a sub menu will come off it that is where you will find the user manual.

If nvda is not running it is the alt key +ctrl key + the letter N to start your copy of nvda.

To quit your copy of nvda it is the nvda key + letter q.

Where i refer to the nvda key this is a modifier key and can be the insert key, the extended insert key or the caps lock key.

You would use what ever one you chose to say quit nvda for example insert key + letter Q

For windows 10 users now the default voice i think is set to windows one core voices.

Otherwise earlier than that is e speak which i use all the time.

Just to give you the heads up also when you go into the preferences part of nvda then arrow right it will now take you into the settings. Here you can arrow down and up these sections.

To go into any of the sections use the tab key and tab through each part of that section. You will see what i mean.

You can also use other sapi 4 and 5 voices along if you want to pay for either vocaliser or eloquence voice not charged by nvaccess.

If you grab it from the website after it has been downloaded and the file clicked on and started it has a talking installer. You will need to agree to the documentation then after that it will give you 3 options one to install to your pc, the second to make a portable copy and the third to run as a temp copy pick the first option and follow directions to install it to your pc.

If a UAC screen comes up for security use the alt key + letter Y to allow nvda to be installed to your pc.

I do have other material on how to use nvda on my website if you are interested but is only for a desk top user both in audio and written.

Gene nz

On 7/9/2018 11:01 AM, Jim Rawls wrote:

Hi all,

I tried downloading NVDA once a couple years ago, and couldn’t stand that double ugly voice that came out of my computer when I tried to do what I was supposed to do to get things going. So, first question. What’s the easiest way to download the latest version of NVDA? Second. How do I learn the commands to make it work? And finally how do I get rid  of that terrible voice and get one I can understand and tolerate? I am running windows ten, and jaws 2018. Jim