Re: new member with tons of question on NVDA.

Jackie

Since you're running Windows 10, Jim, the default synth is 1 core now.
You'll like it better, I believe

Some resources for you are:
http://www.josephsl.net/tutorials/
The user guide is in the NVDA help menu, ie, nvda+n, then h, then hit
enter on u for user guide. There is also a command quick reference,
accessed similarly to the userguide, but press q instead of u. These
are all free. NV Access also sells some training materials, available
at:
https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Buying them helps support the project.
HTH.

On 7/8/18, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@outlook.co.nz> wrote:
Hi

Have you already got a copy of nvda already? if not you will need to get a
copy from http://www.nvaccess.org

It can be found under the downloads section.

To get into the preferences of NVDA after it has been started it is the nvda
key + letter N then arrow down to help and a sub menu will come off it that
is where you will find the user manual.

If nvda is not running it is the alt key +ctrl key + the letter N to start
your copy of nvda.

To quit your copy of nvda it is the nvda key + letter q.

Where i refer to the nvda key this is a modifier key and can be the insert
key, the extended insert key or the caps lock key.

You would use what ever one you chose to say quit nvda for example insert
key + letter Q

For windows 10 users now the default voice i think is set to windows one
core voices.

Otherwise earlier than that is e speak which i use all the time.

Just to give you the heads up also when you go into the preferences part of
nvda then arrow right it will now take you into the settings. Here you can
arrow down and up these sections.

To go into any of the sections use the tab key and tab through each part of
that section. You will see what i mean.

You can also use other sapi 4 and 5 voices along if you want to pay for
either vocaliser or eloquence voice not charged by nvaccess.

If you grab it from the website after it has been downloaded and the file
clicked on and started it has a talking installer. You will need to agree to
the documentation then after that it will give you 3 options one to install
to your pc, the second to make a portable copy and the third to run as a
temp copy pick the first option and follow directions to install it to your
pc.

If a UAC screen comes up for security use the alt key + letter Y to allow
nvda to be installed to your pc.

I do have other material on how to use nvda on my website if you are
interested but is only for a desk top user both in audio and written.

Gene nz

On 7/9/2018 11:01 AM, Jim Rawls wrote:
Hi all,
I tried downloading NVDA once a couple years ago, and couldn’t stand that
double ugly voice that came out of my computer when I tried to do what I was
supposed to do to get things going. So, first question. What’s the easiest
way to download the latest version of NVDA? Second. How do I learn the
commands to make it work? And finally how do I get rid of that terrible
voice and get one I can understand and tolerate? I am running windows ten,
and jaws 2018. Jim

Jackie McBride
https://brighter-vision.com