Re: PDF t9 Word keeping footnotes

Quentin Christensen

I think scanning hardware is as much to blame as education professionals here too.  I've seen numerous photocopiers which could scan something and email it to you and they will do it in PDF - a scanned image PDF.  I understand the scanner doesn't usually have OCR software built-in, but if people scan and get a PDF in their email, most people aren't going to think they need to do anything with it, if they know the end-user can (theoretically) work with a PDF file.  And in fact, if they wanted, those office photocopiers COULD include OCR software if they wanted, particularly when you are talking about a professional grade office machine that costs a few thousand dollars and already has a reasonable amount of computing power to drive it.

Even for home users, it's not as easy as it once was.  My wife and I recently bought a Canon CanoScan 9000F and it has no less than FOUR buttons on the front which all scan to PDF images (colour, black and white, I don't even recall what else, but they're four buttons we won't wear out anytime soon).  In order to scan to text (using the very rudimentary built-in OCR software), I had to open a program that was hidden away in the start menu - not any of the icons that got put in the notification area or on the desktop - and from that choose "scan to text", and then I get it scanned into Notepad.

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 12:12 AM, Cohn, Jonathan <jcohn@...> wrote:
Hello,

Yes either Daisy, NIMAS or ePub is more likely to have appropriate markup for footnotes. I believe most textbooks in the US are supposed to be available in the NIMAS accessible format.  The Braille Blaster program can convert NIMAS files directly into Braille documents. You can read a bit more about NIMAS at:
http://aem.cast.org/creating/national-instructional-materials-accessibility-standard-nimas.html
The Daisy and ePub standards are now pretty much merged, and since the Edge browser will act as a ePub reader, that might work for reviewing your documents if you can get them in that format. I believe that PDF documents that conform to PDF-UA should also have navigable footnotes. The problem with pdf is that it was initially designed to provide different printers with the ability to produce the same page output no matter the printer and accessibility needs were only added later when the US Government started supplying documents and forms in PDF.

Best Wishes,

Jonathan Cohn

--
Quentin Christensen