Re: PDF t9 Word keeping footnotes

Its interesting to note, the latest office scanners the small cheap as chips multifunction ones I am talking about, and since most of these are 200 bucks down to 50, I got a 90$ one for my aunt with the cloud system.

It doesn't come with any software, drivers, yes, a mobile app, yes, e printing, yes, some photo software yes, and free professional photo software yes.

Scanning is controled from the device, but its got no ocr.

I had to buy ocr for my previous printer.

I think scanning hardware is as much to blame as education professionals
here too. I've seen numerous photocopiers which could scan something and
email it to you and they will do it in PDF - a scanned image PDF. I
understand the scanner doesn't usually have OCR software built-in, but if
people scan and get a PDF in their email, most people aren't going to think
they need to do anything with it, if they know the end-user can
(theoretically) work with a PDF file. And in fact, if they wanted, those
office photocopiers COULD include OCR software if they wanted, particularly
when you are talking about a professional grade office machine that costs a
few thousand dollars and already has a reasonable amount of computing power
to drive it.

Even for home users, it's not as easy as it once was. My wife and I
recently bought a Canon CanoScan 9000F and it has no less than FOUR buttons
on the front which all scan to PDF images (colour, black and white, I don't
even recall what else, but they're four buttons we won't wear out anytime
soon). In order to scan to text (using the very rudimentary built-in OCR
software), I had to open a program that was hidden away in the start menu -
not any of the icons that got put in the notification area or on the
desktop - and from that choose "scan to text", and then I get it scanned
into Notepad.

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 12:12 AM, Cohn, Jonathan <jcohn@air.org> wrote:

Hello,

Yes either Daisy, NIMAS or ePub is more likely to have appropriate markup
for footnotes. I believe most textbooks in the US are supposed to be
available in the NIMAS accessible format. The Braille Blaster program can
convert NIMAS files directly into Braille documents. You can read a bit
more about NIMAS at:
http://aem.cast.org/creating/national-instructional-
materials-accessibility-standard-nimas.html
<http://aem.cast.org/creating/national-instructional-materials-accessibility-standard-nimas.html#.W0deXS2ZNAY>
The Daisy and ePub standards are now pretty much merged, and since the
Edge browser will act as a ePub reader, that might work for reviewing your
documents if you can get them in that format. I believe that PDF documents
that conform to PDF-UA should also have navigable footnotes. The problem
with pdf is that it was initially designed to provide different printers
with the ability to produce the same page output no matter the printer and
accessibility needs were only added later when the US Government started
supplying documents and forms in PDF.

Best Wishes,

Jonathan Cohn