From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kenny
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2018 1:28 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Microsoft Edge is Starting to Grow on Me.

Joseph, I'm going to be honest with you.

I've tried the current releases of NVDA 2018.2, Developer's Master and this new Try Build release. The Try-Build release seems to work best on my system running the latest build of Microsoft Windows 10 Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.165.)

Edge is much more responsive when using this TB release. Maybe it's some sort of fluke, but I really do like how this build works with Windows applications overall.

Could the key be is to run the other two builds in portable mode for the Try-Build I'm running that way?

On 7/13/2018 2:25 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
I advise against making my try build the primary version of NVDA on your computer for three important reasons:
1. New NVDA developments may break the try build, and in many cases, my try build will be out of date with "reality" too quickly (once the new release process is fully implemented and things start to pour into alpha builds).
2. Windows 10 uses continuous delivery model. In other words, things can change at a blink of an eye. The try build I wrote yesterday assumes you've got Windows 10 Version 1709 (build 16299) or later, and for emoji panel in particular, it assumes Windows 10 Redstone 5. In recent weeks Microsoft made significant changes to emoji panel in Redstone 5 builds, which means certain things won't work as advertised in older and newer builds.
3. My try build is not an official NV Access try build. This means no updates, no official support from NV Access, things won't work as expected when installed, no touchscreen support (very important for certain Windows 10 features) and so on.

For all practical purposes, you should install Windows 10 App Essentials add-on until such time when I say all major features from that add-on become part of NVDA screen reader (right now, it isn't). That's because:
1. Windows 10 App Essentials uses continuous delivery model. Unlike most of my add-ons I created or maintain (except another one), there is no major or minor releases of this add-on (at least on paper). Latest stable versions do include new features from Insider Preview builds, bug fixes, needed features for NVDA users and what not.
2. This add-on serves as a public testing version of pull requests that'll be sent to Nv Access after a period of usage. In recent months, NV Access has incorporated features from this add-on into NVDA. In one particular case, Mick Curran took inspiration from my add-on for a feature, and throughout 2017, I wrote or helped writing features seen today, including search suggestion sounds (originally came from my add-on).

There are certain things the add-on cannot do due to hacks involved, but for many things, the add-on should suffice.
Cheers,
Joseph