Re: Tips for speed reading /listening with screen readers

Gene

This message is long but it may be quite helpful.

Maybe someone can tell you what variant they like and that may help narrow down the ones you try but there response may be different than yours to different variants.

I don't like e-speak in any variant.  Some variants are a little better than others but you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear, as the cliché has it.

Why not try the SAPI 5 Eloquence demo.  If you like Eloquence, in my opinion, it is one of the best synthesizers for intelligibility at fast speeds, and it pronounces more words correctly than other synthesizers I've used and tried.  That may be the answer.

As for trying different variants of E-Speak, have you noticed that when you move from variant to variant in the list, speech changes to that variant when the announcement of the name of the variant is made?  That may help you determine which variants you want to try and which ones are less harsh and annoying.

When trying different variants, it is important to know that if you don't close the program while using a different speech synthesizer or variant or while speed settings are different, then after trying something, you can immediately return to your original synthesizer, variant, and other settings by using the command control NVDA key r.  You will hear "configuration applied" spoken.

That means that the configuration you were using before you changed anything is being used again.  If you close the program, it saves whatever changes you have made and you have lost the old settings.  The settings NVDA is using are the saved configuration.  When you close NVDA, it saves the configuration you are currently using.

If you don't want this to happen so you don't accidentally save settings you don't want to make permanent, do the following:
Issue the command control NVDA key g.
The general settings dialog will open.  Tab to a check box that says save settings on exit or something very similar.  Uncheck it with the space gbar.  Tab to and activate the ok button.  The dialog will close.  But the setting has been changed, not saved as a part of the saved configuration.  To manually save settings permanently, issue the command control NVDA key c.  Now, you will never accidentally save settings by closing NVDA or by rebooting, when NVDA is running, which will close NVDA and thus unintentionally save temporary settings.

You will now only save settings permanently when you want to.

Suppose you want to change speech settings or any other settings for a specific use.  You can now do so, and when you want to use the other settings again, the ones you have permanently saved, use the command I told you about at the outset, control NVDA key r.  You don't have to waste time manually setting things back to how they were before.  You have instantly gone back to all the old settings with one command.

In my strong opinion, automatically save settings on exit should not be the default command.  there is such a thing as too much automation.  People should be expected to learn certain things about programs they use and how to manually save settings is one of them.  It is very bad practice to have a program assume that someone wants to save settings any time they reboot or close a program.  If I want to read a specific thing at 400 words a minute and I usually read at 350 words per minute, if I want punctuation set to most for proofreading one document and want punctuation off as a general setting, these temporary changes should not be saved if my computer spontaneously reboots because of a technical problem or I forget and reboot for some reason.

If I want to use certain browse mode settings on one web site, I should be able to do so and not run the risk that they will be unintentionally saved.

Those learning the program should have the freedom to try any settings they wish without accidentally having them be saved.

For those who are persuaded to an extent by ,
Gene----- Original Message -----