Re: I think Avast is a virus :-)

Jackie,

          And you are the perfect example of just the kind of pushing that helps to make the world better.   As a sighted person who came to assistive technology for the blind and the visually impaired relatively late in life, I can say that most of the attitude you get is secondary to ignorance, and the fear of revealing same, and because the thought of accessibility never crossed the developer's mind.   I was a developer for many years (but not for the Windows platform) and if accessibility was considered at all, and it seldom was, it was considered grudgingly and as an afterthought.   That has changed, radically, at the major software makers like Microsoft such that accessibility considerations are "baked in" as new development occurs.

           You are also absolutely correct that it can feel very disheartening and like an endless uphill battle, but someone at some point had to undertake these battles for any given minority that wanted its place at the proverbial table.   In my career I have worked with individuals with brain injuries (I was a cognitive rehab therapist for 6 years before I burned out), visual impairments, and other differences and/or disabilities and to a person I've been telling them that no one else will be advocating for them, at least not reliably, in day to day life so one of the best skills they can develop is to become an effective advocate for themselves.  Effective can, sadly, sometimes be glacially slow, but like water carving a canyon, it's got to start somewhere.

            And, as you clearly realize, recruiting sighted advocates who actually do have a clue about accessibility issues never hurts, either.  One of my roles, when called upon, is to make "sighted friendly" what the issues regarding accessibility are.  A lot of times that's done by demonstrating what happens when a screen reader user is trying to access something that should be incredibly simple (and is, for someone who sees and points and clicks) but is an absolute nightmare when accessed via a screen reader.

            In the end, though, even I realize that what I'm trying to do is raise awareness in the broader world to these issues in a way that the broader world can grasp.  They're never going to come seeking this information on their own, at least not the vast majority of "the broader world," anyway.

           ~ Richard Dehmel