Re: I think Avast is a virus :-)

Jackie

Brian V, I love your new signature! Yeah--I know--who has a life &
still reads those?--but anyway...

There are developers who are beginning to take accessibility
seriously. Microsoft, Apple, even WordPress & drupal have committed to
conformance w/WCAG 2.0 at the AA level. They are, sadly, the
exceptions, & even some of their efforts are pretty spotty, but at
least, as you correctly note, it's now a consideration than it was
before. NVDA is also helping by allowing testers a free screen reader
w/which to test the accessibility of their software, at least on
Windows, though Narrator is also now becoming an acceptable candidate.

Advocacy is still the best tool, but, sadly, many do not know how to
do this effectively. Knowledge, either acquired formally or via
self-education is the best advocacy method, but so many don't wish to
acquire it, or don't know how to get started if they do. The blindness
organizations would do well to put out materials regarding that, but
I've not seen any thus far.

In a previous life I, too, have done work w/the cognitively disabled,
& it is absolutely brutally hard. Fixing hacked websites & infected
computers is a breeze compared to it, & that's not easy work by any
stretch. The 1 real blessing of working w/those who have cognitive
disabilities is that you become almost hyper-aware of the most minimal
progress. & occasionally, there are those breakthroughs that seem
nearly miracuous. But observance of the nearly infinitesimal is, I
think, 1 of the greatest blessing of doing that work, as it carries
over to the rest of life.

Thank you for your work on our behalf.

Jackie,

          And you are the perfect example of just the kind of pushing that
helps to make the world better.   As a sighted person who came to assistive
technology for the blind and the visually impaired relatively late in life,
I can say that most of the attitude you get is secondary to ignorance, and
the fear of revealing same, and because the thought of accessibility never
crossed the developer's mind.   I was a developer for many years (but not
for the Windows platform) and if accessibility was considered at all, and it
seldom was, it was considered grudgingly and as an afterthought.   That has
changed, radically, at the major software makers like Microsoft such that
accessibility considerations are "baked in" as new development occurs.

           You are also absolutely correct that it can feel very
disheartening and like an endless uphill battle, but someone at some point
had to undertake these battles for any given minority that wanted its place
at the proverbial table.   In my career I have worked with individuals with
brain injuries (I was a cognitive rehab therapist for 6 years before I
burned out), visual impairments, and other differences and/or disabilities
and to a person I've been telling them that no one else will be advocating
for them, at least not reliably, in day to day life so one of the best
skills they can develop is to become an effective advocate for themselves.
Effective can, sadly, sometimes be glacially slow, but like water carving a
canyon, it's got to start somewhere.

            And, as you clearly realize, recruiting sighted advocates who
actually do have a clue about accessibility issues never hurts, either.  One
of my roles, when called upon, is to make "sighted friendly" what the issues
regarding accessibility are.  A lot of times that's done by demonstrating
what happens when a screen reader user is trying to access something that
should be incredibly simple (and is, for someone who sees and points and
clicks) but is an absolute nightmare when accessed via a screen reader.

            In the end, though, even I realize that what I'm trying to do is
raise awareness in the broader world to these issues in a way that the
broader world can grasp.  They're never going to come seeking this
information on their own, at least not the vast majority of "the broader
world," anyway.

--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

   A little kindness from person to person is better than a vast love for
all humankind.

           ~ Richard Dehmel

Jackie McBride
https://brighter-vision.com