Re: Tips for speed reading /listening with screen readers

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes, I agree to most of this. it is amazing though what can be done later in life I learned Braille in my 50s and to me its amazing I can read it at all. I sat down and wrote a training program in basic after learning it and that helped me to remember the dots since I had to make them into visual representations decoded from English.

As I say, I'm glad I did learn it as now at least I can read all my medication as they are all brailed on the packets and bottles in the UK.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2018 4:29 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Tips for speed reading /listening with screen readers

I’m a pretty compitant Braille reader. My general observation is that for the really fast or those who use/prefer Braille learned the skill from a really, really early age and didn’t have to ever transition from sighted reading. Most likely people who have either been blind all their life or had no useable vision from again, a very early age. Not that someone later in life couldn’t pick up the skill, but I’m going to guess that even the most dedicated adopters of Braille in these circumstances would never be able to reach the level or proficiency of an early adopter. Even prisoners who become Braille transcribers physically look at the Braille. I’m sure it has to do with something in the brain structure and all the funky connectors that are going on when you’re very young with absorbing information In a tactile form instead of visually and so on.

My vision loss was gradual and while I picked up Braille while I could still see, it wasn’t until my teens that I had to really give up print.

I cant’ even imagine trying to read a book or anything really for an extended period of time in Braille. Much less at a rate of speed that would make it even remotely close to synthesizer reading and comprehension. Mind you, I went to college out of the country and got my degree mainly with the old school methods of readers and my own Braille notes. So it’s not that I’m adverse to Braille per say, but man, talk about shutter at the thought of going full Braille. I would find it physically and mentally exhausting.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2018 8:09 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

I've seen Braille readers read at speeds I estimate to be perhaps 250 or 300 words per minute. Most Braille readers I've observed have been much slower, tending, by my rough guess, to read at around 180 or 170 words per minute. These are my observations of about fifteen or twenty Braille readers, many of them, reading Braille since grammar school. It is not a proper sample but to me, it is suggestive.

Are there techniques that slower Braille readers can use to significantly increase their speed? I don't know, Did some of these people learn to read Braille in different ways in terms of technique? I don't know. but that appears to me to be suggestive of the situation as it stands.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2018 5:12 AM

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

-- but, doesn't Braille slows you down further?
Speed is my main conceen.
Regards,
Sociohack

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.