Re: Is NVDA colourblind?

Ervin, Glenn

My drivers have had a hard time trying to figure out the controls in my latest work car because of all the hieroglyphics.

Makes for an interesting if not frustrating situation.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2018 12:18 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Is NVDA colourblind?

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 01:12 PM, Ervin, Glenn wrote:

I refer to emoticons and such labeling as hieroglyphics.

Well, there was a time when using icons/glyphs in an attempt to create a "universal language" for things like road signs was accompanied for quite a few years with a small "label" for lack of a better word beneath it in the local language saying what it meant.  The same thing was true, but to a far lesser extent, on keyboards.  Those attempts have, by and large, met with great success.

On electronic devices, however, the convention of presenting icons and text as the default has really fallen by the wayside.  The first thing I do when setting up a device for myself is to make sure that icons and text, not just icons, are presented.   No one can possibly keep in mind what all the various icons mean, particularly for functions you might touch once every 10 years, if that.

           ~ Richard Dehmel