Re: Microsoft is Killing Skype Classic on September 1 -

Antony Stone

You say that you use a hotspot with your computers sometimes, but that you
wouldn't use it for talking, because that uses a lot of data (and that is
presumably expensive).

It may be cheaper than you think. I don't know what sort of mobile tariff you
have, but a typical pay-as-you-go example in the UK is from Three, who charge
3p per minute for calls, 2p per text message, and 1p per megabyte of data.

Voice codecs used for telephony use no more than 100 kilobits per second of
data - that's about 10 kilobytes per second. So, Three's 1p per megabyte of
data will buy you 100 seconds of talk time, which works out considerably
cheaper than paying 3p per minute for a standard mobile voice call.

I suggest you look at the tariff you get from your mobile provider and work out
what a minute's work of voice-over-data would actually cost you before simply
dismissing it as being too expensive.

Antony.

On Monday 16 July 2018 at 21:42:45, Eleni Vamvakari wrote:

It doesn't matter to me if something is popular, as long as it's
accessible. Those who truly wish to talk to me have already said that
they would use what works for me. I'm not going to use something that
works horribly to please everyone else. I don't need stereo
recording, as long as the sound is clear. I usually avoid echo
cancellation and noise suppression, as I prefer omnidirectional
microphones which capture everything,a and which have a good, full
sound. I'm used to everything from records to mp3s at no more than
128kbps and sometimes less, so I don't need the highest sound quality.
But I know that I have to use a feature on Teamtalk to prevent it from
being extremely loud or distorting sound. How accessible is Google?
I, too, would be interested in trying whatsapp, but I don't know how
well the web version works with NVDA. I tried Messenger but although
I got it to work, I was not pleased with the interface.

I, too, enjoy filt ransferring. I hate dealing with Windows Explorer
in Windows 7, but in XP, it works wonderfully. This is one feature
that I wish existed in NVDA Remote, but I know it wasn't designed for
that purpose. I think Teamtalk supports file transfer.

What is the difference between TeamTalk and Team Speak?

I don't own or want a smart phone, as I hate touchscreens, but I do
use a hotspot with my computers at times. Still, I wouldn't use it
for talking, as it uses a lot of data.

On 16/07/2018, Tyler Wood <tcwood12@gmail.com> wrote:
Lol.

I remember 3.8 had 8 k audio all the time. It has been forever since
quality has gone that low on skype for me *since* Microsoft bought it.

Go mobile, even on relatively good LTE, and team talk audio is so bad
you can't use it. It takes nothing to make you break up whereas team
speak has such a huge buffer you could probably talk in a stereo channel
on satellite. Very latent, but doable. I have played around with the
transmit interval on team talk to no avail.

I use zoom for work, but have yet to be mobile with it so am curious on
how it will handle that. I have a lot of rural areas that get excellent
HSPA coverage which should be more than enough for any audio
communication, yet team talk struggles like crazy. Frustrating.

On 16-Jul-2018 2:15 PM, Lino Morales wrote:
Well I use Skype and TT on my PC not in a mobile environment due to a
Android phone that has 8 GB of memory. I do 99.9 percent of my stuff
on said PC with a 200 MBPS download speed on my Spectrum connection.
Skype technologies SA should never should have sold their souls to the
devil AKA MS. V 4.X had great audio. MS broke it.

Windows 10

From:nvda@nvda.groups.io
From:nvda@nvda.groups.io