Re: New to list, newbie question, everything new starts here I guess

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

I use Windows 10 with both the most recent NVDA and a slightly older version of JAWS (v. 18) and for the most part I really like it. I find it quite customisable and while I had to do some tweaking, it generally behaves very nicely, except for a few unexpected updates and changes I made to the system being revoked during those updates.

I only used Windows 7 for a bit at my old work. I actually did make the change at home directly from Windows XP to Windows 10. It’s not really that daunting and you can use as little or as much of the OS functionality as you want. Personally I don’t bother with the so-called Universal apps. They just never seem as responsive or robust as normal desktop apps and generally they are designed with mobile users in mind, or so it seems.

I love the new file explorer. There’s so much you can do with it. Also, for people like me who still think the command line is the best and fastest way to get certain things done within the oS, there are a lot of neat tricks you can use. I’m not 100% sure what’s also available in Windows 7 since I did not spend a lot of time exploring 7 as, you know, I was supposed to be working, but in general I’m a lot more pleased with Windows 10 than I was with XP. It also comes with Windows PowerShell (although I think 7 does too?), which I’ve learned to use to do a few neat things, like generate lists of random files or make backups of my media from my drives.

It's for sure true that Windows 10 comes with a lot of “bells and whistles” which I know I will never, ever use. When I first got it I found it to be a little cluttered with nonsense. But after clearing most of that stuff away, I’m quite happy. I don’t know anyone who likes Windows 8 and the general consensus among both novice and experienced users is that it was somewhat a failure. Everyone I know stuck with Windows 7. Some migrated to Windows 10, but most chose not at all to install Windows 8. This goes for workplaces and home users. Now that Windows 10 is out and has been for quite a while, I would personally advise staying away from Windows 8, but it’s up to you. If anything though, Windows 10 brought back some of the functionality from 7 that was missing from 8, so you’ll honestly be happier just skipping it, in my opinion.

You’ll probably want to download and install the Windows 10 App essentials add-on for NVDA, if you make the upgrade.