Re: Is NVDA colourblind?

Gene

I'll think about your response and I may have comments on it.

Sent: Monday, July 16, 2018 1:40 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Is NVDA colourblind?

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 01:40 PM, Gene wrote:
Pictures representing ideas or objects is not at all the same as symbols representing sounds that are combined to form words.  A picture of a fish representing the ocean is completely different than a symbolic method of writing the sounds in a language that make up the word "ocean."
Only if you're worried about the method, not the concept that is communicated itself.

There are many written (as in with letters) forms of the word, "ocean," but it is not the arbitrary representation of the concept that is the important part.  Even pictographic languages such as hieroglyphics had exact spoken equivalents for the glyphs.

Language is a symbol system to carry human communicative content.   Sign language is every bit as much a language as any other yet has no written component (and, believe me, many have tried to think of one that would work).

           ~ Richard Dehmel