Re: Microsoft is Killing Skype Classic on September 1 -

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 06:41 PM, Eleni Vamvakari wrote:
Whether there is a way to avoid the updates and whether Classic will still work I don't know.
The author of the article gave a direct link to the Skype Blog article, Upgrade to the latest version of Skype for desktop, dated today (7/16/2018), that serves as the source material.  He quotes the following from it, "There comes a time when we must shut down older services and application versions."

The phrase "shutting down" is completely unambiguous in the tech world:  older versions will not work, and typically by intention.

I don't care whether your blind, or sighted, or whatever:  Nothing is so constant as change (and nowhere is it more constant than the world of computing).  When software vendors are telling you that the time has come to upgrade that should make you rush out and upgrade while you can have overlap between the old and new.  Once that shutdown occurs you will be tossed into the deep end.

Software and hardware both have service lives.  It does no good to cling to the dying or dead.  And, in the event the "latest  and greatest" isn't for you, for any you, your energy is far better spent finding a replacement.  This is another reason why early upgrading makes sense, as you can more accurately determine whether it's time to find a replacement if you simply cannot work with the latest and greatest.

           ~ Richard Dehmel