Re: Tips for speed reading /listening with screen readers

Gene

I also suspect that in the case of Eloquence, high speed intelligibility is better, perhaps much better, when using American English instead of Brittish English.  I enjoy listening to real Brittish English.  But the Brittish English accent in Eloquence was obviously created by Americans who have no idea how to properly reproduce a Brittish accent.  It's revolting.  Being Americans, they properly reproduced the American accent.

The American accent is probably clearer at fast speeds no matter what accent a person is used to because the Brittish accent degrades the speech itself, it doesn't just change the accent.

Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 1:24 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Tips for speed reading /listening with screen readers

I'm so used to E-speak that Eloquence is incoherent to me. But, the flutter you get in E-speak in the boost mode is hindering me to achieve faster speeds. So, I'm forcing myself to get used to Eloquence.

And yes, the so called natural sounding synthesizers are not as good at high speeds. But then, SAPI5 and one core voices aren't much behind if we compare them to these so called natural voices at moderate voices. I tried a demo of Acapella, didn't like it much. It's high quality voices do sound good, and more human like, but you can't use them at high speeds. The speech becomes incoherent. There is a clatter in the background.  When it comes to high speed functionality, there is nothing better than E[speak and Eloquence.
--
Regards,
Sociohack