Re: NVDA vs. Narrator: NVDA still wins.

John Isige

Honestly, I'm not knocking them for trying. I don't see myself switching
from NVDA even if Narrator gets to be a viable screen reader. But we
should want it to be and probably get familiar with it, because it's
part of the OS. I'm sure there could be situations where not even NVDA
as a portable copy can be run, so in that case, you'd have a screen
reader that can't be unintentionally blocked by IMO valid security
policies. The more choices we can have, the better.

I should have said, since somebody suggested scan mode, I did get
Narrator to read Firefox technically, in fact what I wanted to test was
jumping by headings in a webpage with 'h' in scan mode. NVDA does that
just fine, e.g. searching on Youtube and hitting 'h' to move to each new
video. Narrator pauses for like a second and says "no next heading".
I'll try it in Edge and Chrome probably, but it also doesn't seem to
read mail in Thunderbird. I guess I could try setting up Microsoft's
mail thingy since all of my accounts are IMAP, but then I feel like I
shouldn't have to put in a ton of work to switch apps, even temporarily,
just to learn another screen reader. If it doesn't work with what I'm
using, that means it doesn't work, as far as I'm concerned.

It was interesting to see the contrast, I can fire up NVDA and it just
works with my stuff, and honestly there's not a whole lot I run into
that it can't handle. I think Microsoft has done a lot with Narrator,
but IMO it's still got a long way to go before it's any sort of viable
alternative. I hope it gets there, and honestly I feel like they're
really trying to work on that, at least so far. It's certainly come a
long way from XP where it didn't really do all that much. But even now,
what a contrast between it and something like NVDA. I will say though,
I'm glad it's adopting keystrokes. The more of a standard we have, the
better. The less I have to go "oh wait, this is Windows and screen
reader X so I have to do B instead of A" means the easier it is for me
to get more stuff done, e.g. if every screen reader using a keyboard has
'h' for moving through headings, then I already know how to navigate
websites. So to my mind, that's actually what we want to see.

On 7/17/2018 6:46, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Yews I noticed this hype from Microsoft. they have started visiting
visually impaired charities etc, extolling the virtues of out of the
box accessibility in demos, but you are right, they are always using
Microsoft software. I guess it makes sense for them to get narrator
fast and working with in house stuff before tackling third party
things, and of course one of their latest things is similarĀ  key
sequences to otherĀ  screenreaders we all know.
Ahem.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.