Re: possible eloquence solution

Espeak used to be good. but Espeak NG is trash to the extent that
they're messing up language pronounciations that worked better before
they edited them. Chinese being one such example of this even to a non
Chinese Speaker.
That synth is pure filth and speaks of low grade quality. This is why
Jaws succeeded due to Eloquence. Dectalk often sounds like someone's
talking with their lips close together. I'd actually say festival is a
better synth. I wish it was used more and developed.

Espeak is good enough, it reminds me of the keynote and its quite good.

Bar my phone eloquence never interested me, nuance actually tried to
write a 16 bit eloquence, but I doubt bar improving the quality of the
voices, so you hear a 8 bit synth digitally orgmented to a 16 bit one,
which just sounds crappy because it is obvious that the convert doesn't
sound right at all.

Dectalk is another, but to be honest, orpheus1 was my prefered synth,
after that, espeak the first one.

Vocaliser and realspeak were my synths of choice and if I hadn't pulled
that off a server a friend had ages ago I would never have any advanced
tts, they are just to expensive for sapi.

At least the third party stuff is.

But the robotic crap while not good for reading its low resource and
quite usefull for just about everything else.

The higher non crappy stuff is fine for reading but put it on a slower
system, and its almost not even worth running it long term.

On 7/18/2018 7:09 PM, Tyler Wood wrote:
I despise modern voices for doing anything but light reading. Espeak
is decent, but in my view the best two synths for fast reading remain
Eloquence and doubletalk. If I want to get correct spellings I'll use
a more modern voice. ...but then you get random pauses for no reason,
mis pronouncing random words like bourbon and expanding acronyms that
I don't want.

I can't win.

On 18-Jul-2018 1:52 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Yes I'm sure you know that several attempts were made by nv access to
have a licence system that was not too onerous, but no. I do think
myself, that its rubbish but acknowledge a lot find it good. it
obviously is a personal thing.
I to do  agree that modern voices are unintelligible at fast, even
moderate speeds.

I as you know made the variant Quincy for UK English espeak and am
happy with it in the main if they would stop mucking about with words
that sounded right before. However I do also feel that the speech
player in Espeak project was very good and I'd like to see somebody
take this up again to make it better for the US market. One has to
realise at the moment though that the biggest growth area for nvda is
the Indian Subcontinent, and maybe other languages than English.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-