Re: Suggestions for sound recording programs: was, New Member (5)

Bhavya shah

Hi Gene,
It would be really appreciated if you could share links to your
tutorial and other guides you mentioned that teach Audacity, even if
intended for use with JAWS. I shall adapt.
The previous audio tutorial series I had tried understanding from was
primarily using the JAWS scripts features which provide automatic
read-outs, and I was unable to find an alternative source for the same
information, despite having reviewed the screen. It was sort of a
little intimidating, to be true.
Thanks.

as with so many programs, a lot of what you do are program commands.
Audacity commands for play, record, and for editing are program commands.
As in so many cases, if you know how to use a program, you can do a good
deal with it regardless of screen-reader. Many people use Gold Wave and
Audacity with NVDA. At times, JAWS may have scripts that allow you to do
more or do some things more easily. At times, NVDA may have been nodified
to allow it to work more fully or in an automated way with a program.
You can often learn a lot from tutorials or a written guide written for
blind users regardless of which screen-reader they may have been written
for.

If you know your screen-readers commands such as read current line, etc. and
how to review the screen. you can use a lot of program commands and look at
the screen if you don't get automatic readout.

I don't know what you want to do with these programs. I did a basic
tutorial for Audacity explaining how to edit and the basics of the program.
the program has some new features that weren't covered and one of them might
be very useful in editing. But you will get a good basic knowledge of how
to edit and play and record. I can find a download link if you want it.
Others may make other suggestions such as the written user Guide to the
program with JAWS. I believe that more advanced users may find this to be
useful but it is very densely written, more like a manual and I think most
beginner users are far better off using an actual tutorial with oral
instructions and demonstrations.