Re: Lost the pound sign

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 11:42 AM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
This is a £ ie pound sign and this is a # ie hash or number sign.
Er, while you're not wrong that the pounds sterling sign is referred to as the pound sign, the symbol used at the start of a hashtag, often referred to as a number sign, is also referred to, and not infrequently, as the pound sign [programmers tend to do this a lot, as do people in telecommunications].

I do not believe the issue is with the pounds sterling symbol, but because the original poster was used to hearing # announced as "pound sign" and it's now being announced as "number."

I also just tried changing my keyboard from English, US, to English UK (UK Keyboard) and it is making no difference whatsoever in how # is being pronounced (number) or £ is being pronounced (pounds sterling) while it does change what gets typed when SHIFT+Number Row 2 is pressed.

           ~ Richard Dehmel