Re: VFO not complimentary about NVDA

Antony Stone

In my experience the bundling of unwanted extras with the software you thought
you were installing is far more prevalent with closed source proprietary
software than it is with open source software.

However, that said, I'm still looking for actual opinions expressed by
companies who reject using open source for whatever reason, more than I'm
interested in people's opinions here on why we think they might not like it.

Thanks,

Antony.

On Wednesday 18 July 2018 at 22:30:45, Shaun Everiss wrote:

Another thing with opensource is people like sourceforge and sadly other
software that is free bundle things with x software, that could be
malware its a problem there, everyone wants to advertise and people want
to block it and so it goes round and round.

Before it got popular in new zealand I was talking with my friend well a
friend that worked as the dolphin distributor that is blind he doesn't now.

Even while some of these companies may not acknowledge something like
nvda externally they do internally recognise the competition.

My friend said this himself that while publically dolphin were doing
what they needed to do and were the best at the time they did
acknowledge the competition so, my point the public face is not all of it.

On 7/19/2018 8:20 AM, JM Casey wrote:
It's usually security concerns, I think. "open source" means the
developers don't protect their code and thus it can be easily hacked.

And yes, I am well aware of the obvious counter-argument to this. But
unless you're already working for the company in a capacity that would
cause them to listen to your advice, that's not going to make a lick of
difference.