Re: VFO not complimentary about NVDA

Gene

Are you saying you will ask people to pay you for instruction?  That's fine.  I don't think you mean to pay for NVDA since it is free.  If you are asking them to contribute that's fine, but what are you saying?

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 12:29 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] VFO not complimentary about NVDA

There is a new group of adults who will be wanting to continue their computer access. They are the wave of "senior boomers." It is an entire generation who though they did not "grow up" using technology, have adapted pretty well to it. The statistics regarding vision loss in that population are staggering. Many of those people have PCs at home.
I will be shortly starting classes at our local library on NVDA. I refute to teach access thinking that the cost of JAWS may well put it beyond the reach of many, particularly those on a fixed income. I will be sure to ask my students to pay something for NVDA, but pay what they can afford.

The model that helped to create WindowEyes and JAWS was a good starting point. Those products gave us the ability to show that computer use for a job was doable. We have passed that time. Computer access for anyone with vision loss should be a right, and not a right based on our income or our employer.

Like all change, there will be bumps, but products like NVDA are showing a new path to access.
Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of JM Casey
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 12:38 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

It's probably true that most larger organisations are going to go the JAWS route, if they already have an iT department that is familiar with accessibility concerns. However, as I've done several job interviews in the last  year that require on-site tests/use of software, I can definitely say that the price tag and other issues involved in getting JAWS to work are a hurdle that companies will not cross. This is the very reason I started using NVDA more regularly in the first place; I had no choice if I was going to do those interviews. One company did try to install the 40 minute demo of JAWS and was not able to get it to work at all, though they didn't tell me the reason.

I still use both, but if I hadn't been able to obtain a cheap JAWS license from my former employer, Canada's chief "blindness organisation", I wouldn't be using JFW at all. Freedom Scientific might trash and disparage as much as they like; in the end I think their model just isn't very practical. They depend on government and corporate grants/licenses because they know that most blind individuals can't pay their exorbitant prices. I recently looked into Open Book and that thing is something like four or five times the price of a high quality mainstream OCR package. Just unbelievable.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of mikolaj holysz
Sent: July 18, 2018 12:21 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Same thing happens over here, in POland. Altix, the local distributor of JAWS, has recently released a series of articles about Jamie leaving NV Access for Mozilla even though he did this a long time ago and about all the features NVDA doesn't have and JAWS does. I've even heart accounts of people who were told by altix representatives that NVDA is dangerous to their computers and that it might fry their motherboards, though I don't know if those who retold the story were speaking the truth or merely exaggerating.

This seems like pressure from Freedom Scientific to promote JAWS.

W dniu 2018-07-18 o 17:33, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io pisze:
> I have just listened to the latest issue of Techtalk from the RNIB in
> the uk on Audioboom, and there is an interview with the software man
> at VFO about what they sell and future plans, and the guy asked him
> about NVDA Though not actually  trashing it, he used that old ploy
> that one of the programmers has now left to go to Mozilla and nobody
> will install NVDA in a business system because its open source etc.
> anyway, go and have a listen and see what you think. I guess his job
> is to big up his own company, but I noticed, dear old Dolphin never even got mentioned!
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal E-mail to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.
>
>
>

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.