Re: VFO not complimentary about NVDA

Gene

Are you saying you will ask people to pay you for instruction?  That's fine.  I don't think you mean to pay for NVDA since it is free.  If you are asking them to contribute that's fine, but what are you saying?

From: ely.r@...
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 12:29 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] VFO not complimentary about NVDA

There is a new group of adults who will be wanting to continue their computer access. They are the wave of "senior boomers." It is an entire generation who though they did not "grow up" using technology, have adapted pretty well to it. The statistics regarding vision loss in that population are staggering. Many of those people have PCs at home.
I will be shortly starting classes at our local library on NVDA. I refute to teach access thinking that the cost of JAWS may well put it beyond the reach of many, particularly those on a fixed income. I will be sure to ask my students to pay something for NVDA, but pay what they can afford.

The model that helped to create WindowEyes and JAWS was a good starting point. Those products gave us the ability to show that computer use for a job was doable. We have passed that time. Computer access for anyone with vision loss should be a right, and not a right based on our income or our employer.

Like all change, there will be bumps, but products like NVDA are showing a new path to access.
Rick