Re: VFO not complimentary about NVDA

Christian Schoepplein

Hi,

my employer, the city of Munich, has started to migrate from Windows to
Linux maybe 12 years ago. Now they are switching back to Windows because
they say it is the standard in the industries and in the majority of
companies and open source is causing problems especialy when exchanging
documents or other office related data. The default software on a
workstation for blind people, maybe 30 are working for thecity of
Munich, is Windows 7 with Jaws and next year it will be Windows 10
also with Jaws. I am working as an Linux system administrator for the
city of Munich and for me NVDA is the better solution, because I can
more easily use the textbased terminal of the 2.000 Linux servers I
have to take care of, but NVDA will not be the official screenreader,
at least not in the next years. The argument why they are still
prefering Jaws is that tey think they can not get commercial and
official support when problems occure or when special solutions are
needed. And indeed, I do not know a company in Germany which is
offering commercial support for NVDA. Maybe I should change my job and
set up such a company :-).

Also in Germany the soft- and hardware which blind people need for their
job is payed by offical departments or job centers. Those departments do
only know Jaws or the other commercial solutions. They are very ofthen
simply not aware that there is a open source solution. But even if they
know, they would also say that no official companies can support the
blind people who are using NVDA.

Ciao and all the best from Munich,

Schoepp

--