Re: VFO not complimentary about NVDA

Antony Stone

Sarah: Thank you for the further description and information about the
situation you were in.

It's always a pity when organisations choose the technology solution (or
vendor) first, and then look at the budget second (thereby eliminating the
chosen solution with no option to consider an alternative), rather than
looking at what's availavle do what's needed and then consider the
functionality + cost in combination.

Maybe NVaccess should have a dual-licensing model (like many open source
projects use), which means you can use the software for free, or you can pay
for it and get a support contract just like you expect to have with closed
source proprietary software.

Antony.

On Thursday 19 July 2018 at 01:11:29, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: just edited some quirks.]

I was actually working for these companies, writing lesson plans etc on
Microsoft word. They were on surface things. I told them I would rather
use nvda, they said, no, you can use jaws. I had no choice. They train
their students with jaws. They would not even consider talking typing
teacher, they didn’t even know about it. Let’s say, I didn’t last long
even though I gave them budget and materials and cost of things they would
need for the children. They just said it would cost too much and we'll
look into it next year. They did say that I did an excellent job writing
the lesson plans and end goals for the children though, but the programs
I was going to start never took off. I probably would have done a lot
better and finished the job in half the time though had I used nvda and
word on the surface thing.

On Jul 18, 2018, at 1:38 PM, Antony Stone
<antony.stone@nvda.open.source.it> wrote:

What you say may be true, but I got the impression from Sarah's email
that she was not an employee in these companies, but was talking to
employers in the capacity of a trainer for assistive technologies.
--
I'm not impossible, just highly implausible.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.