From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2018 2:28 AM
To: 'NVDA screen reader development' <nvda-devel@...>
Subject: [nvda] Windows 10 App Essentials add-on: compatible with wxPython 4, version 18.10 to require NVDA 2018.3 or later, other Win10 goodies

Hi all,

Before I go any further, I’d like to announce that Windows 10 App Essentials add-on is compatible with wxPython 4.

Version hopping for the third time this year: if I’m not mistaken, NVDA 2018.3 may include several important features from Windows 10 App Essentials add-on into NVDA Core. Due to this, starting from add-on version 18.10 stable, NVDA 2018.3 or later will be required.

The following are features migrating from this add-on to the NVDA screen reader:

  • Basic support for IUIAutomation6 interface (Windows 10 Redstone 5).
  • NVDA will recognize and read contents of more dialogs in Windows 10 (especially on Redstone 5) and various apps, including dialogs found in various universal apps.

In addition to this, recent changes for Windows 10 ecosystem support include:

  • In Microsoft Edge, aria-roledescription text is recognized.
  • Espeak NG will read emoji characters.

Possible features to be included if pull request review passes:

  • Native support for various modern input features, including emoji panel, dictation, hardware input suggestions, and cloud clipboard. If the review (currently in progress) passes, this will mean you don’t have to use Windows 10 App Essentials add-on to use these features, as NVDA itself will support them out of the box.
  • In Microsoft Edge, more notifications, including aria-role=alert will be announced (review has been requested).

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph