Re: Add-on development: contracts, Python and such

Hi,

At the moment the closest to that would be:

https://certification.nvaccess.org

Some folks listed on that site are add-on authors, while others are technology trainers. I think what may help might be a way to let certified experts specify list of services they provide, such as training and add-on development.

Another idea that I’ve been thinking is to offer a chance for beginning developers or those interested in writing NVDA add-ons and/or interested in code contributions to receive mentoring from experienced developers. The overall purpose of this is to let beginners ask questions about development to those who know what they are doing, as well as to pass on our knowledge to the next group of NVDA add-on authors and code contributors. When I pitched this idea to members of the devlearning subgroup a few days ago, at least two people said “yes”, which confirmed what I’ve been suspecting for a while: it is time to pass on our knowledge, and how important it is to let others contribute needed code for things such as supporting professional and enterprise applications and such. Also, mentoring the next group of developers has been something I’ve been meaning to do for a while, and I want to see this happen before I move on.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ervin, Glenn
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2018 9:56 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Add-on development: contracts, Python and such

Yes, I think it would be useful for the NvAccess site to have a list of available scripters and their locations, and then state agencies would have a resource to contact for such things.

I work for a state agency, and I hate it when people bash state agencies without knowing how things work for such things.

Granted, some staff who don’t use screenreaders can’t possibly remember all the solutions, although they should, they don’t, so they think only of the one solution that is most common.

But I have brought up the topic of NVDA as a solution in the workplace, and then the issue of scripting comes up.

Glenn

Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2018 11:50 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Add-on development: contracts, Python and such

Hi,

I’m starting a brand new thread that should provide a space to talk about add-on development, including contract work, Python and such.

Cheers,

Joseph

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.