Re: New to list, newbie question, everything new starts here I guess

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 03:56 PM, Rob DeZonia wrote:
How steep is the learning curve on Windows 10
Learning Windows 10 is a lot less challenging than learning Windows 8/8.1 was, since Windows 8/8.1 made a tectonic shift in the UI where it was presumed that pretty much all the world would be using touch screen devices - which simply isn't the case and never will be.

Windows 10 is a marriage between what was good about Windows 7 and earlier as well as the things that were good about Windows 8.  I found it much easier to transition directly from Windows 7 to Windows 10 than it was for my partner to transition (with lots of assistance and frustration on my part) from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1.  When he was on 8.1 we made it as "Windows 7-like" as we could without installing something like Classic Shell.

The Windows 10 start menu is a big change from 7 but since I put desktop shortcuts on for virtually anything I use frequently I seldom need the start menu.  Even when I do, I hit the Windows Key and start typing the name of the thing I'm trying to find and run, and way more than 9 times out of 10 it's either the first thing returned in the search list or the only thing if I go beyond 4 characters.

           ~ Richard Dehmel