Firstly welcome to the list! I'm glad you're enjoying NVDA. As hor your using NVDA via a drive, you could always install it to your computer by going to Tools, and installing your portable NVDA to your PC. Good luck!

Gera
Enviado desde mi iPhone SE de Telcel

El 22/07/2018, a la(s) 10:32 a. m., James Bentley <bentleyj1952@...> escribió:

OK, I like the idea of having 2 dedicated thumb drives in case one is damaged.

The warning from Windows saying that files may be corrupted if I continue with removing the thumb drive makes me a bit nervous.  I may stick with powering down until I learn more.  And, I will wait several minutes to give Windows more time to finish writing files.

Thanks for your suggestions,

James B

From: Gene
Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2018 10:17 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Introduction, and a question

I wouldn't waste time powering down.  Even if you power down, according to what I've read, information may not be written to the drive properly before the computer stops.  If this is correct, powering down may damage information on a drive just as improper removal may.  To be safe, you might want to just use a dedicated thumb drive for NVDA, with nothing else on it, and to have another dedicated drive with you in case the first one is damaged and you want to use NVDA again when out.

I consider that if the following is adhered to, the chance for corruption is minimal, or nonexistent.

A file remains in use after you unload NVDA.  You may be able to use a third party utility to stop the file, but I don't think it's necessary.  As far as I know, while NVDA is being used, very little, if any,  information would be written to the thumb drive except when you do something like save changed settings.

By default, NVDA saves settings on exit.  So, if you have changed settings and then shut down NVDA, just to be safe, I would say to wait a minute or two before removing the drive.  If you don't change any settings, I doubt it matters if you don't wait..

I don't have the technical knowledge of NVDA to kno if I am write that very little or no information is written, except when saving settings, but that is my guess.  I see no reason why it would need to nbe.  NVDA is placed in memory and runs from memory when you run it.

Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2018 9:35 AM

Ah, yes, that toggle fixed the problem.

And, I discovered a tutorial  in the NVDA help menu.  So, that problem is also fixed.

I sure wish I had installed NVDA a long time ago.

Gene, I am going to ask you or, anyone another question.

I put NVDA Portible on a thumb drive.  I discovered that I can not do a safe disconnect because Winndows 7 says that the files are still in use.  So, I just powered down the box and disconnected that way.  Is this normal?  Orr, is there a way around this?

Gene, thanks,

James B