Re: Introduction, and a question

Gerardo Corripio

Firstly welcome to the list! I'm glad you're enjoying NVDA. As hor your using NVDA via a drive, you could always install it to your computer by going to Tools, and installing your portable NVDA to your PC. Good luck!

Gera
Enviado desde mi iPhone SE de Telcel

El 22/07/2018, a la(s) 10:32 a. m., James Bentley <bentleyj1952@...> escribió:

OK, I like the idea of having 2 dedicated thumb drives in case one is damaged.

The warning from Windows saying that files may be corrupted if I continue with removing the thumb drive makes me a bit nervous.  I may stick with powering down until I learn more.  And, I will wait several minutes to give Windows more time to finish writing files.

Thanks for your suggestions,

James B

Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2018 10:17 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Introduction, and a question

I wouldn't waste time powering down.  Even if you power down, according to what I've read, information may not be written to the drive properly before the computer stops.  If this is correct, powering down may damage information on a drive just as improper removal may.  To be safe, you might want to just use a dedicated thumb drive for NVDA, with nothing else on it, and to have another dedicated drive with you in case the first one is damaged and you want to use NVDA again when out. 

I consider that if the following is adhered to, the chance for corruption is minimal, or nonexistent. 

A file remains in use after you unload NVDA.  You may be able to use a third party utility to stop the file, but I don't think it's necessary.  As far as I know, while NVDA is being used, very little, if any,  information would be written to the thumb drive except when you do something like save changed settings. 

By default, NVDA saves settings on exit.  So, if you have changed settings and then shut down NVDA, just to be safe, I would say to wait a minute or two before removing the drive.  If you don't change any settings, I doubt it matters if you don't wait.. 

I don't have the technical knowledge of NVDA to kno if I am write that very little or no information is written, except when saving settings, but that is my guess.  I see no reason why it would need to nbe.  NVDA is placed in memory and runs from memory when you run it.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2018 9:35 AM

Ah, yes, that toggle fixed the problem.

And, I discovered a tutorial  in the NVDA help menu.  So, that problem is also fixed.

I sure wish I had installed NVDA a long time ago.

Gene, I am going to ask you or, anyone another question.

I put NVDA Portible on a thumb drive.  I discovered that I can not do a safe disconnect because Winndows 7 says that the files are still in use.  So, I just powered down the box and disconnected that way.  Is this normal?  Orr, is there a way around this?

Gene, thanks,

James B

Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2018 9:12 AM

Try NVDA key, either insert by default, f4.  You should hear either speak command keys on or speak command keys off.   It's a toggle.  If off, you shouldn't hear the announcement.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2018 5:34 AM
Subject: [nvda] Introduction, and a question

Hi all,

I am James Bentley from East Texas.

I recently installed NVDA out of curiosity and for a backup to Jaws.

I am extremely impressed with NVDA.  Its small, efficient, and surprisingly powerful.  Especially since it is free of charge.  I predict it will continue to grow and improve at a rapid rate. 
May I start with 2 quick questions?

Is there a tutorial available?

And, Is it possible to stop NVDA from saying, arrow up or arrow down while I am arrowing  up and down through a web page?

Many thanks.  And, I’m glad to be here.

James B

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.