Re: My thoughts on offensive company names and so on.

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 09:39 AM, Gene wrote:
I consider it highly inappropriate to spread factually incorrect information on a public list in this way.  There are users at a wide variety of knowledge on the list.
Gene, not that I don't agree with you in principle, but by now you should know very well that this sort of childish behavior is not going away.

One of the things we can do on lists like this is to present reasoned and factual counterpoint to these rants, and to teach "newbies" how to think critically about what's being said.   The internet as a whole is awash with baseless garbage and two of the most valuable skills we can teach are to "consider the source" and "do your homework/due diligence."

The logical complement to the old saying, "If it seems to good to be true it probably isn't," is, "If it seems too bad to be true, it probably isn't, either."   Companies, products, software, etc., don't develop huge user bases (relative to markets they're serving) if they really are substandard.  The competition is just too intense and widespread.

           ~ Richard Dehmel