Re: My thoughts on offensive company names and so on.

Eleni Vamvakari

I use XP and 7 exclusively, so screen review is still quite valuable
to me. I was frustrated with the constant "program not responding"
errors, the freezing, and the slowness of Firefox to the point that I
have switched to K-Melion Goana. I find the experience to be much
quicker and smoother.

It should be fairly obvious when someone is being sarcastic and when
he is being serious. If someone is that concerned or curious, he can
ask. I love good research and facts, but not everything in life is
like that. People have opinions. Sometimes, they're grounded in
fact, and sometimes, they are based on emotions. The fact that
someone is new to something shouldn't impair his ability to actually
learn about it.

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 09:39 AM, Gene wrote:

I consider it highly inappropriate to spread factually incorrect
information on a public list in this way.  There are users at a wide
variety of knowledge on the list.
Gene, not that I don't agree with you in principle, but by now you should
know very well that this sort of childish behavior is not going away.

One of the things we can do on lists like this is to present reasoned and
factual counterpoint to these rants, and to teach "newbies" how to think
critically about what's being said.   The internet as a whole is awash with
baseless garbage and two of the most valuable skills we can teach are to
"consider the source" and "do your homework/due diligence."

The logical complement to the old saying, "If it seems to good to be true it
probably isn't," is, "If it seems too bad to be true, it probably isn't,
either."   Companies, products, software, etc., don't develop huge user
bases (relative to markets they're serving) if they really are substandard.
The competition is just too intense and widespread.

--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

   A little kindness from person to person is better than a vast love for
all humankind.

           ~ Richard Dehmel

--
Facebook: elvam2167@gmail.com