Re: Getting to Music, Photos & video files

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

Maybe your view changed back to quick view or it may of been default.

The following below will have it so you see the drives like before and folders like music video etc there.

How to Configure File Explorer (previously known as Windows Explorer) to Open With This PC
When you go to open File Explorer with the Windows key + the letter E you will be presented with the following called quick access view.
If you do not like the Quick Access view, you can configure File Explorer to open with This PC view.
In the search box when the Windows key is pushed, type control panel. You will end up in the control panel and be given a whole heap of options. Next, on your keyboard, press the letter F (so NVDA finds the File manager icon). Next, press the Enter key to be given more options. Under the general tab (which will be the first place NVDA lands on), you will hear NVDA say open file explorer to quick access. Next, arrow down until you hear NVDA say this PC. Next, tab until you hear NVDA say apply button; press the Enter key on this, then tab to the ok button, and press the Enter key. Now when you want to go into file manager with the Windows key + the letter E, you will have this PC view. Then, it is a matter of just finding your drives and so on. For example C:\ drive,  D:\ drive E:\  drive and removable drives.

Or this might be of help

Restoring your Desktop icons
You may be used to having various shortcut icons on your Desktop such as this PC, Recycle Bin, Control Panel etcetera, but did you know that some of the shortcuts can be added if they are not there?

If you are back on the desktop and have noticed a particular icon is not there and you want it back on the desktop, this can easily be done.

Press the Windows key + the letter I. This will bring up the Windows settings section in Windows. You will be given some options. Locate the Personalization icon then press the Enter key. Arrow until you hear NVDA say themes then press the Enter key. Next, tab until you hear NVDA say Desktop icon settings then press the Enter key. You will now be given some options (such as Computer, User's Files, Network, Recycle Bin, Control Panel). You can arrow up or down this section if there are shortcuts/icons you want to put back on the desktop from this location. Press the spacebar on the ones you want. This will check the check box, so they can be added. After you have made your selection/s, tab to the apply button, then press the Enter key. Tab again until you hear NVDA say ok button, then press the Enter key. Now these shortcuts/icons will be on your desktop.

To listen to an audio tutorial on how to restore your previous desktop icons in Windows 10 (if they are missing after the upgrade) please click on the following link https://www.dropbox.com/s/v7yb1ordoih6rpd/How%20to%20restore%20previous%20desktop%20icons%20in%20Windows%2010%20.MP3?dl=0

Gene nz

Hi, Gene,

I agree that you should be able to get to a program or file quickly. In windows 10 you have to go through the file explorer to find a program or file now. Now I can't even hit the start menu and type "downloads" in the search box like I used to. I have to go through file explorer.

Rosemarie