Re: Amazon.com "Cart" page with JAWS & NVDA

Gene

One more message in this thread from me.  I wasn't going to write any more in this thread but after trying the links list again, I see more serious disadvantages of it and I think they should be addressed.

Those interested in the topic may find useful information as well.  In addition, since NVDA volunteers create instructional material, the following may contribute to better material.

Now, let's consider the disadvantages I spoke of.

First, you may have to select the structure you want to look for.  Let's take the Google page for an example.  If you were on a different page the last time and were searching through links, this time, on Google, you first have to select headings as the structure you want to search through.  So we are already at two extra and completely unnecessary steps.

One, open the links list.  Two, select headings as the structure you want to use which requires shift tabbing once and down arrowing once, then tabbing back to the list.  So that is actually three completely unnecessary steps.
Now, you down arrow through the headings.  When you find a result you want to know more about before going to the actual page the heading/link leads to, you do the following:
You have to use the move to command, alt m.  This moves you to the heading/link and you are now returned to the web page.  You now can down arrow through the information about the result or read it as you wish.  As I said you are back on the web page.  The headings list doesn't move you to the heading as you move through the list.  You have to move to the heading.  So this is yet another completely unnecessary step.

If you just want to follow the link without looking at any additionall information, you do alt m, then enter.  Either way, you execute the alt m command, a completely unnecessary command, as I said.

So let's review.  You want to look through results on Google.  You do a search for a topic.
You open the links list.  If you used it as a links list last time, you shift tab once, down arrow once to set it to headings, tab once, and start down arrowing through the headings.  Google results are links that are shown as both headings and links.  Once you get to one you want to follow, you have to issue the command alt m, then press enter.  Or, if you want to see the additional information for the result to help you decide if you want to follow the link, its alt m then read the results.

Now, consider the alternative.
Go to Google, do a search and when the results page comes up do the following:
Type the letter h repeatedly.  That command moves you through the headings exactly as you would move if you were using the headings list but you don't have to issue an unnecessary command and take one or both hands off the main keyboard to issue the NVDA f7 command to open the list.  Nor do you do any of the other unnecessary steps I outlined above.
All you do is type the letter h repeatedly.  When you get to a heading you want to see aditional information about, you just read the information, which is right under where you are.
Or you just press enter to follow the link.
So do search, type h until you get to a heading that interests you, and either read the results or just press enter.  That description was very short because all those unnecessary steps were eliminated.

Since h moves through headings exactly as the headings list does, where is the advantage to the list?
Since the letter k allows you to move from link to link without leaving the page and you move from link to link, exactly as you do in the links list, where is the advantage of the links list?

You accused me of making a mountain out of a molehill.  Really?  When there are the kinds of important differences I've outlined?  And you accuse me of being rigid.  I have presented a factual, detailed discussion supporting my argument.

If people want to use these lists, they may, of course, do what they want.  But because I make a strong case for what I consider to be best practices and best teaching practices, that does not make me dictatorial or rigid.  I'm not forcing anyone to do anything.  But I am presenting a detailed, reasoned argument which I consider to be very strong.

I've observed the kinds of problems a lot of blind people have using the Internet for years.  I've done a little advising and teaching.  I've seen that one of the crucially important things to teach is the importance of context, to not just open a web page and read every page from the top, nor to tab through it and that's all, but rather to work with a page in a way to accomplish what you want to accomplish.  What you do on a page may differ considerably depending on what you are doing, whether it is a familiar page or not, and what is on the page.  There may be pages where you start from the top and read some or all the page.  there may be pages where you use the find command, find something like a link and follow it.  There are pages where you might do other things.  But a lot of people do things like just tab through a page or just start reading or don't look effectively for what they want to find on a page if they know in advance what it is.  And they don't change what they do, they treat pages in the same way.

The links list reinforces all the undesirable predispositions I've observed that I consider essential for good instruction to dispel and guard against.  Note carefully that I didn't say people shouldn't be taught the links list.  Nor did I say they shouldn't use it.  I said that people should not be taught the links list until after they have fully mastered web page navigation and how to decide how to work with a web page, depending on what kind of page it is and what they want to do on the page. If the links list is studied before that time, it reinforces all the wrong habits students may have adopted in the past or may be tempted to adopt before they have learned why they are bad habits.  The idea of the links list is sudductive.  When I first heard about it, while I was still learning page navigation, it sounded wonderful.  But as I learned, I realized how pernicious it is to teach it before the student is ready to learn it without detrimental effect.

Of course, if a student doesn't learn well using techniques and approaches I generally teach, I would use other approaches and methods.  I am discussing what I consider to be best practices for most students.