Re: nvda and microsoft word

Lisa-Maree

Hi,
Thanks for all the replies, ideas and help.

I have windows 10 on both my laptop and desktop, with NVDA 2018.2.1 and word 2013.

This is what I have achieved so far.

Firstly, this is an assessment work book for my course, which you have to fill in to have your assessment done, so you have edit boxes and some combo boxes. So far I have managed to get the document to read fairly well on my laptop, but not my desktop, which is just weird since they both run the same setup. In reading mode of word I can read the document and it will show me the edit boxes and combo boxes, some of which are set out in tables. To fill them in I need to put word into print layout view in order to write in edit boxes, or choose combo box type answers. A little fiddly, but probably not impossible :). In prin layout mode it will default to reading the edit or combo box, so using the key combination to read tables is how you read the label for each thing. Ok, so it's not perfect, and probably should read better, but the fact that it does read, and can be used is definitely a plus :).

On the desktop, the edit boxes and combo boxes do not speak, but there is NVDA plus H which will give focus to those boxes, and tell you to type here. Work arounds yes, and if anyone has any more ideas tips or suggestions on this, I know it's a little complicated, please let me know. I'm sure there's something I probably haven't tried yet :).

Lisa-Maree

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Cearbhall O'Meadhra
Sent: Wednesday, 1 August 2018 12:00 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda and microsoft word

Hi Lisa,

I would like to try to help with this, if I can!

Can you say what version of Word you are using, What version of Windows and the version of NVDA that you are using? This will set the grounds for investigation

I use Word 2016 with the latest NVDA (version 2018.2.1) and windows 10.

I often get word files as attachments to emails and Windows always puts them into protected mode (this is the default action). When I unprotect them, I can read them fine. That is why I would ask you to describe your actions step by step from the point of opening the word file, how you unprotect it. Tell us what you expect to find in the document and what you are not hearing after that.

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lisa-Maree
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 1:30 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] nvda and microsoft word

Hello,
I have a Microsoft word issue I could do with some ideas on if anyone has any.

I have a document I can read fine with NVDA in protected view mode, but when I take protected view mode off to edit it, NVDA stops being able to read it properly. Run out of things to try.

Any ideas? [smile].

Lisa-Maree

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.