Re: Adobe Flash Player with NVDA

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Jolene,

I am very interested in your topic as I am currently writing a tutorial for users of the BorrowBox digital library service in which Adobe Flash comes in to playing a preview of an audio book. I can forward my recent discussion on this and the solution to it if that would be of interest?

There is a good deal of discussion between NVDA technical team members on getting NVDA to work with the embedded objects in Adobe Flash.
These are known as windowless objects and JAWS, for instance cannot see them at all in FireFox but can see them but has difficulty keeping focus on them in Internet Explorer.

NVDA gets around this by labelling the embedded oject as unavailable and using the NVDA+numpad divide (to move the mouse pointer to the current navigator object) followed by numpad divide on its own which emulates a left mouse clikc.

I wonder if you could try this solution and see if it gives you access to the player?

I have tried your two links with NVDA and Firefox on windows 10 (all latest versions) and found the following:
KITV:
http://www.kitv.com/category/305776/live-stream
This stream started playing and sounding in the speakers as soon as I opened the link in Firefox.

KHON2:
http://khon2.com/live-stream/
This link did not start and a typical part of the screen showed this:

" SEARCH THE SITE
Live Stream"

Then NVDA said:
iFrame 'embedded Object unavailable' and then 'Out of iFrame' after I pressed down-arrow once.
The stream did not start playing automatically like the first one. However, I pressed NVDA+numpad divide and then numpad divide alone and it did start to play. Another numpad divide stopped it. While NVDA is reporting the embedded object, the screen is reporting "blank" under the active cursor.

With these work-around techniques , both streams are working on what appears to be a similar system configuration to yours.

What do you think?

All the best,

Cearbhall

I use the free version of Spam Reader to get rid of spam. The Professional version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails.