Re: Add-on Updater: 18.08.5 as last stable version for now, few important announcements

Darren Harris

Getting the same thing here, using the latest version of NVD a Plus the updater. There is no check for updates option at all.

On 7 Aug 2018, at 09:33, Clare Page <clare.page@...> wrote:

Hi!

I installed Add-On Updater 18.08.5 yesterday, and it shows up as enabled in my add-ons list, but I still have the strange problem I described before, where there is no sign of the add-on updater in either tools or preferences.

As I wr’ite this, I haven’t been warned of any add-on updates either, but that might be simply because none of mine are being updated at this moment. Some of my add-ons are old and have never been updated since I got them as far as I know, which might make a difference.

I probably shouldn’t worry if nothing happens, I just hope to see proof one day that the add-on updater is working, not just that it’s enabled in the Manage Add-ons dialogue.

Bye for now!

From Clare

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: dimanche 5 août 2018 18:39
To: 'NVDA screen reader development'
Subject: [nvda] Add-on Updater: 18.08.5 as last stable version for now, few important announcements

Hi all,

First, thank you all for your valuable feedback regarding Add-on Updater. At the moment I’m making changes to the corresponding pull request (NVDA issue 3208) based on your feedback and the add-on code.

Also, version 18.08.5 will hit the air in about half an hour from now. This one fixes a bug where Add-on Updater settings panel didn’t show up properly if there are add-ons with badly formatted manifest data. I also took this time to exclude Nuance Vocalizer family of add-ons from participating in add-on update checks.

Few more important announcements:

• Removing “stable” tag: I’m removing stable tag from this add-on once 18.08.5 is released. This is to follow precedence set by Screen Curtain where proof of concept/prototype add-ons will remain under development.
  • Compatibility with really old add-ons: prior to widespread use of Add-on Template, add-on authors would package add-ons by hand. This means add-on manifest data would be formatted in such a way that caused Python to treat them as things other than text. Although Add-on Updater will notice these and take appropriate action, compatibility with these old add-ons is not guaranteed. The solution is for add-on authors to put quotes around manifest data, specifically for summary and description fields. I’ll edit relevant sections in NVDA’s developer guide to reflect this discovery.
  • Feedback channel: in addition to emails and social media replies (Twitter and what not), the best place to send feedback regarding add-on update feature is GitHub via https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/3208.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.