Re: Add-on Updater: 18.08.5 as last stable version for now, few important announcements

Roger Stewart

Can't duplicate this here.  Check for add on updates is the last in the list of Tools in the nvda menu.

Roger

On 8/7/2018 3:33 AM, Clare Page wrote:

Hi!

I installed Add-On Updater 18.08.5 yesterday, and it shows up as enabled in my add-ons list, but I still have the strange problem I described before, where there is no sign of the add-on updater in either tools or preferences.

As I wr’ite this, I haven’t been warned of any add-on updates either, but that might be simply because none of mine are being updated at this moment. Some of my add-ons are old and have never been updated since I got them as far as I know, which might make a difference.

I probably shouldn’t worry if nothing happens, I just hope to see proof one day that the add-on updater is working, not just that it’s enabled in the Manage Add-ons dialogue.

Bye for now!

From Clare

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: dimanche 5 août 2018 18:39
To: 'NVDA screen reader development'
Subject: [nvda] Add-on Updater: 18.08.5 as last stable version for now, few important announcements

Hi all,

First, thank you all for your valuable feedback regarding Add-on Updater. At the moment I’m making changes to the corresponding pull request (NVDA issue 3208) based on your feedback and the add-on code.

Also, version 18.08.5 will hit the air in about half an hour from now. This one fixes a bug where Add-on Updater settings panel didn’t show up properly if there are add-ons with badly formatted manifest data. I also took this time to exclude Nuance Vocalizer family of add-ons from participating in add-on update checks.

Few more important announcements:

• Removing “stable” tag: I’m removing stable tag from this add-on once 18.08.5 is released. This is to follow precedence set by Screen Curtain where proof of concept/prototype add-ons will remain under development.
  • Compatibility with really old add-ons: prior to widespread use of Add-on Template, add-on authors would package add-ons by hand. This means add-on manifest data would be formatted in such a way that caused Python to treat them as things other than text. Although Add-on Updater will notice these and take appropriate action, compatibility with these old add-ons is not guaranteed. The solution is for add-on authors to put quotes around manifest data, specifically for summary and description fields. I’ll edit relevant sections in NVDA’s developer guide to reflect this discovery.
  • Feedback channel: in addition to emails and social media replies (Twitter and what not), the best place to send feedback regarding add-on update feature is GitHub via https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/3208.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.