Re: The Way NVDA Announces Punctuation As I Type

Quentin Christensen

Hi Will,

You are correct re apostrophe being treated as a word break when speaking typed words.  There is an issue open for it, which doesn't appear to have had any updates lately: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/6215  I've just commented on it myself.

Re speaking punctuation as you type but not as you read, as Gene noted, press NVDA+p to change NVDA's punctuation level while reading only.  It has four states, None, Some, Most and All.  The higher the level, the more punctuation gets read, and the lower the level, the less gets read when reading.  When typing, if speak typed characters on, NVDA will read any punctuation character you type, regardless of the punctuation level.  This doesn't quite work in with the way you want to work if you want to have speak typed characters off unfortunately.  I can't think of a way of having NVDA read the punctuation characters that you type without reading the letters as well.

Regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 2:07 AM, Wilco <w.norman@...> wrote:

Hi,

I’m a relative NVDA newby just trying to navigate my way through the transition from JAWS.

One thing I’m struggling with a bit is the way NVDA speaks as I am typing. For instance, if I want to type a word with an apostrophe in it, as soon as I hit the apostrophe key, NVDA announces the word to that point, and then announces the rest of the word when I press space at the end.

So don’t is  spoken as don t, which is kind of off-putting when word processing.

Is there any way around this?

I have NVDA set to only announce words when I type.

Also, if possible I’d quite like NVDA to announce punctuation that I type, but not punctuation as I read. So I might want the reassurance of hearing NVDA say period or question mark when I enter them at the end of a sentence, but I wouldn’t want it to read out every full stop and question mark in text that I am simple browsing or reading.

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers, Will.

--
Quentin Christensen