Re: How to configure Switch Synth?

Larry Wang

List,
Auto languag detection built in is not quite useful ,since it;s based on web page .But  the experimental function in vocalizer is quite handy.It uses unicode block to detect language.

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 6:21 PM, Jacob Kruger <jacob@...> wrote:

Bear in mind that you will want to do something like activate a speech slot, then make changes to voice output settings, before then saving those settings for later use.

For example, I would press NVDA + ctrl + shift + 1, then use nvda + ctrl + s to bring up synthesizer dialogue, make a choice, and then use nvda + ctrl + v to bring up the voice settings, make a choice, and voice setting changes, and then hit nvda + ctrl + shift + v to save the current settings to the previously selected slot.

You would then repeat these steps, choosing a different slot each time, to have multiple switch synth combinations available/configured.

And, while it may suit some people, I will mention that one of the reasons I leave any form of automatic language switching turned off is since web developers don't always pay attention to what they should have set a web-page's underlying language to, and, that's one of the triggers that something like that would react to...<smile>

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
082 413 4791
Skype: BlindZA

On 8/10/2018 12:02 PM, Larry Wang wrote:
Hi Diana,
Preferred settings means the synth settings you need to switch between.To configure speech settings, open NVDA menu and go to Preferences -> Settings... -> Speech. If your mum needs automatic switching between English and Mandarin ,try vocalizer expressive on https://vocalizer-nvda.com/
As for OCR ,add a Chinese keyboard layout in Windows language settings and Windows will download data for Chinese OCR and install it. It may take a few minutes.

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 12:46 AM, Diana Kwok <dkwok2017@...> wrote:

Hi Larry,

Yes, the add-on is loaded and enabled ok. And I hear “three” with Ctrl+Shift+NVDA+3, “four” with Ctrl+Shift+NVDA+4, “five” and “six”. I don’t see where to configure Preferred setting though.

BTW in Settings / Windows 10 OCR, the Recognition language is English but there’s an option for Chinese.

Thanks for your help!