Re: Need to speed up Slow voice on Windows start-up

Sarah k Alawami

Yeah that. I keep forgetting the setting. It’s odd and I just can’t get that to click. Anyway yeah, that. Lol
!

On 10 Aug 2018, at 11:40, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 01:24 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Try going to settings, then region and language , then the voice you want then adjust the rate of speech.
You mean Settings, Time & Language, then, depending on what you really intend to do:

1.  Region & Language Pane.   Use this pane if you wish to change the base speech rate for all voices in a given language pack.  You generally only need/want to do this if you have installed multiple languages or multiple dialects (e.g., US, UK, Australian, Canadian English) for a single language.  If this is the case, you then have to pick the Language under Preferred Languages for which you wish to change the default base speech rate used by Windows 10 itself, "activate it" [for me, a left mouse click] such that its Options button appears, then activate that.  Under the dialog that then pops up there is an area entitled "Speech" with a link Settings, which you have to activate.  Then there's a slider in that dialog for Rate.

2.  Speech Pane.  This allows you to tweak base rate for individual voices within a language pack or across language packs without changing them all.  There is a section entitled "Text to Speech" under which is a dropdown allowing you to pick the voice you want and once you have that there is a slider for Speed.  After you tweak the slider there is a "Preview" button to let you hear a sample of what your choice will sound like.

Of course, programs that use speech synthesis as part and parcel of their functioning generally allow rate tweaking from within their own settings, too.

           ~ Richard Dehmel