Re: tutorial for Google Chrome?

Aravind R

Introduction
In Google Chrome, there is a horizontal strip near the top of the
screen containing, from left to right, the Navigation bar, the
OmniBox, additional icons and the Chrome menu button icon. The
Navigation bar contains various icons which are used to manipulate the
currently displayed web page and the OmniBox is the name given by
Google to the combination address bar/search box, used to input URL’s
and web search criteria. All these items are accessible using a
screen reader, just press the alt key or F10 to move focus to the
‘Chrome Menu’ button (some help text is voiced at this point
announcing ‘Customise and control Google Chrome’. Use the tab key to
loop through the items that make up this top strip, various help text
is voiced as you go and you end up back at the menu button. The icons
are predominantly aimed at mouse users however, they can be keyboard
activated and there are also keyboard shortcuts available for the
majority of the functions they perform. The number of icons shown in
the Navigation bar at any one time varies depending on your
configuration settings and the actions you are currently performing.
The one static icon in the Navigation bar is the Reload button used to
reload the current web page. The variable icons will be discussed in
the notes below. To the right of the OmniBox is the Bookmark button
which is used to add the URL currently displayed in the OmniBox to
your Bookmarks list, with the Chrome menu button appearing on the
right hand side.

The Chrome Menu
As stated previously, move focus to the Chrome menu button by pressing
the alt key or F10. Pressing escape will return you to your previous
location.
To activate the menu list, press spacebar.
The menu consists of a vertical list containing commands, buttons and
sub-menus and is navigated using the up/down arrows.
Navigation will loop around to top/bottom of the menu list when either
end is reached. Not all screen readers identify sub-menus (NVDA
does), in the main menu list these are History, Bookmarks, More tools
and Help.
To open/close a sub-menu, use right/left arrows.
Navigation will also loop around to top/bottom of a sub-menu list when
either end is reached.

Displaying Web Pages
Google Chrome has 3 functional areas associated with web page
processing, Start-up, Homepage and Searching. The details of how
these areas operate are retained within the Settings for the Chrome
browser and are user defined.

The Chrome.Settings Page
To display the Chrome.Settings page, press alt or F10 to move focus to
the Chrome Menu button, then press spacebar followed by the letter s
for Settings (note: the Chrome menu will respond to first letter
selection of menu items).
The page opens in a new browser tab so does not overlay any displayed web pages.
There are four tabs on the displayed page, ‘History’, ‘Extensions’,
‘Settings’ and ‘About’ but focus is on the Settings tab.

Similarly, when History, Extensions or Help About options are chosen
from the Chrome menu, the same Chrome page is displayed with the
corresponding tab selected and in focus.

In this case, on opening, the Settings tab has focus in a search edit
box. Ensure you are not in Forms/Focus mode and use the d key to jump
to the Landmark at the bottom of the page. Here you will find a link
to ‘Show Advanced Settings’, press enter on this to open up the whole
settings page. Press Control+Home to move to the top of the page,
then use h and shift+h to explore the sections of the Chrome.Settings
page. The sections where web page processing parameters are
maintained are detailed below.

‘On Start-up’ section
Please note this section is NOT used to set the HomePage. This
section is used to determine what pages are displayed when Chrome
first starts up. You have a choice of 3 radio buttons, which
determine if, a new web page tab is displayed, the pages open when you
last used Chrome are displayed or 1 or more specified web pages are
displayed. For the latter option, use the ‘Set Pages’ link to open a
dialog in which the start-up URL’s can be typed into an edit box. I
find the easiest way to do this is to open up the required start-up
pages in the browser then activate the ‘Use current pages’ button in
this dialog. This will populate the edit box with the URL’s for you.
Activate the OK button to save the settings and exit the dialog, or
Cancel to exit without saving.

‘Appearance’ section
The Appearance section is where the HomePage is defined. Navigate to
the ‘Show Home’ checkbox and check it. Checking this box does 2
things; firstly, it makes a link available which opens a dialog for
you to specify the URL of a HomePage and secondly, it puts a ‘Home’
icon in the Navigation bar at the top of the page.

The default HomePage behaviour of Chrome is to display the same as you
would see if you opened a new tab. To specify a particular URL as
your HomePage, tab to the ‘Change’ link and press enter. Activate the
‘open this page:’ radio button, then tab to the edit box and enter the
desired URL of your new HomePage. Finally, activate the OK button to
save the settings and exit the dialog, or Cancel to exit without
saving.

Now you have a HomePage which will be loaded into the currently
displayed web page tab whenever you activate the ‘Home’ button in the
Navigation bar or use the keyboard shortcut alt+Home.

‘Search’ section
The Search section of the Chrome.Settings page is where you specify
the search engine which is used when you enter search criteria into
the OmniBox. Navigate to the combo box which lists the available
search engines, activate it and tab out of the list when you have
selected the engine you want to use. If you want to use an engine
that does not appear in the Combo box, tab to the ‘Manage Search
Engines’ button and press spacebar to activate it. This opens a
dialog containing 2 sections, ‘Default Search Settings’ and ‘Other
Search Engines’. The ‘Default Search Settings’ are preloaded by
Chrome and these are used to populate the OmniBox combo box previously
described. The ‘Other Search Engines’ are what you can customise and
a button is provided for you to move an entry into the default list.
You can add a search engine by entering 3 parameters, a short name,
URL and a search command with a %s placeholder specified. I have
managed to add another search engine to the list but I find this
particular area of Chrome very screen reader unfriendly and continue
to investigate ways to access the information.

Closing Remarks
There are of course sections in the Settings dialog not covered here
but the ones that have been, should get you up and browsing. There is
however, one more setting which I had to set in order to make
audio/video content work properly. Use the h key to jump down to the
‘System’ section and uncheck the box entitled ‘Use hardware
acceleration when available’.

Once you have completed your settings, close the settings page with
Control+w or Control+F4.

As you open and move through different links in a web site, a couple
of buttons are added to the Navigation bar. These are Back and
Forward buttons which, when activated, move you back and forward
within the web site you are currently viewing. As I wrote previously,
the Navigation bar is of more use to mouse users. The screen reader
user can use keyboard shortcuts for all the buttons that appear on the
Navigation bar and other objects at the top of the screen. These are
as follows:
Back button – Alt+LeftArrow – moves back a level within the current web page
Forward button – Alt+RightArrow - return to a level you have moved
back from within the current web page
Reload button – F5 – reload the current web page. Use Control+F5 to
reload the web page from source, bypassing cached pages.
Home button – Alt+Home – loads your Homepage into the current browser tab

OmniBox – Alt+d – moves focus to the OmniBox for URL or search criteria entry
Bookmark – Control+d – Bookmark the currently displayed web page
Chrome Menu – Alt or F10 – Move focus to the Chrome menu button
(activate menu with spacebar)

The 3 sections mentioned previously enable you to set-up Chrome to
your liking, but as an example, I will describe how I set up my Chrome
browser, to give you an idea of what is possible. I use talking books
a lot, so I’ve set my start-up page to be the RNIB Library site, my
HomePage to the DuckDuckGo search engine and my default OmniBox search
engine to Google. So when my Chrome browser loads, I’m placed on the
RNIB library site. If I have any book related tasks, I complete them
first, next I press Alt+Home to load my favourite search engine and
start browsing. Alternatively, I could elect to leave my RNIB page
open, press Control+t to open another web page tab, with focus
automatically in the OmniBox, where I could start browsing using the
Google search engine. I like the flexibility of having 2 search
engines available at a single keystroke and you could of course, set
up other search engines as Bookmarks, so they are only a few
keystrokes away.

I am not a FaceBook user but for those that are, I can imagine that
the Start-up feature could be set up to open on your FaceBook page,
with say a second page set up to your HomePage URL, so you could use
Control tab to flip between the two. There is nothing to stop you
specifying your favourite search engine as a Start-up page as well as
your HomePage and You may specify as many Start-up pages as you wish.

On 8/14/18, Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io <k_gunness=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
here it is below

Tutorial for Using the Google Chrome Browser
By David Moore

This tutorial will be done with the latest update of Chrome.

I will use NVDA 2018.2 for this tutorial, .

Finally, I will use Windows 10 1803 Update latest public build.

I will assume that you have downloaded and installed Chrome.

There should be a shortcut on your desktop.

Section One:

Launching Chrome:

One way to Launch Chrome, is to press the Windows key or CTRL+Escape and
type Chrome in the search edit field, and press enter when you hear JAWS say

Chrome.

However, since you have already downloaded Chrome, You will have a shortcut

icon on your desktop.

So next, find the shortcut for Chrome on your desktop, and press enter to
open Chrome.

The short cut will actually say Google Chrome, so press G to find the Google

Chrome icon on your desktop.

The first very important step, is to press Windows+up arrow to maximise the

window. Chrome often opens with the window not maximise, and you will get
undesirable results.

Section Two:

Bringing up a web site.

Press CTRL+L or Alt+D

and type the following:

www.freedomscientific.com

The Freedom Scientific web site comes up very quickly.

All navigation commands like: H for heading, E for edit field, C for combo
box, and so on all work just the same in Chrome.

Section Three:

The Virticle Chrome menu:

I will press the Alt key.

The Chrome menu is open.

This is a very large virticle menu that you just keep pressing up and down
arrow through.

I will press insert+up arrow to hear the first option in this menu.

New Tab, CTRL+T.

You can press that command right from the web site you are on.

New Window, CTRL+N

You can press these commands right from your web page, instead of coming
here.

New incognito Window.

History sub menu.

I will press right arrow here to see what is in this sub menu!

History, CTRL+H

So, there is a key command for reading your history.

You can read a few sites you were on right here.

I will press left arrow to close this history sub menu.

Downloads, CTRL+J

There is the command for opening your downloads you have downloaded with
Chrome.

Next, the important Bookmarks sub menu.

I will press right arrow, to open this.

I hear, bookmark this page, CTRL+D

That command will bookmark the page you are reading.

Next down arrow, says show bookmarks bar, CTRL+Shift+B

That command, will show your bookmarks on your Chrome browser for all to
see. I do not want that.

Here is the important one.

manage bookmarks

The command is, CTRL+Shift+O

In here, you can organize your bookmarks into folders, see the bookmarks you

have imported from different browsers, and very importantly, you can
download, to your computer, an HTML file of all of your bookmarks in
Chrome.

On your computer, you can press enter on this file, after it downloads, and

a page will show up in Chrome with a list of all bookmarks you have saved in

Chrome. This is an awesome way to download all of your bookmarks right to
your computer, so you can back them up.

That is all for manage bookmarks.

Next, I hear import bookmarks and settings.

press enter on this, and you can import all bookmarks and settings from IE,

and Firefox, right into Google Chrome, and they will be in their
corresponding folders.

Now, I hear all of my saved bookmarks as I continue to arrow down.

Very important!

Sometimes, when I open that bookmarks sub menu, I do not land on the choices

I mension here, but instead, I start hearing my saved bookmarks. If this
happens, I press up arrow a few times, and it gets me to these choices.

Keep in mind, that many of these choices, like bookmark manager, have key
commands, so you do not have to come to this bookmarks sub menu at all. You

only need to come here most of the time, to arrow through your saved
bookmarks, and enter on the desired one.

To save a web site as a bookmark,

Just press CTRL+D and press enter, and your bookmark is saved.

I will now press left arrow, to close the Bookmarks sub menu!

I will continue to down arrow through this virticle Chrome menu that we
entered by just pressing alt.

The next few are very self explanatory.

The next one I will mension, is the more tools submenu.

I will press right arrow on this.

I hear Save Page as, and the command, CTRL+S.

Next, Save to desktop.

This allows you to save the favorite of the page right to your desktop. This

is how you do this in Chrome, instead of doing this in the file menu in IE.

It is hidden under this more tools submenu.

Clear Browsing data, and there is the key command, CTRL+Shift+Delete key.

Extentions, In here, you can add extentions, delete extentions and so on.

These are the same as add ons, in IE.

I will press left arrow, to close the More Tools sub menu, and we are back
to the virticle Chrome menu.

The last two that I will mention, are settings, and the help sub menu.

If you press the left arrow on the help sub menu, you can open the help
system, just like in other programs, so that is all I will say about help.

Now, we will press enter on settings, and a web like page will open where
the virtual cursor will turn on with JAWS, and NVDA will be in Brows mode.

Section Four:

Adjusting Settings and Advanced settings:

Now that this web page is open, I will just down arrow down the page and we

will deal with each setting.

Important:

I have already signed into Chrome.

So now, arrow down until you hear sign into Chrome and press enter.

You just enter your email address and password, I think it has to be the
same email address and password that you used to set up your Google
account.

I am not sure about this.

You do not need to sign into Chrome, if you do, you can sync all of your
activity between all devices that you have Chrome on. That is the only
advantage of signing in.

I will continue with what I hear after you have signed in.

If you do not sign in, press H until you hear Appearance.

Each group of settings is a heading that you can get to by pressing H. This

makes it very easy, because you just press H until you hear the group of
settings you want to work with.

Now, because I have signed in, this is what I hear before getting to
appearance.

The first thing you hear:

Settings.

That is the very top of the web page.

Down arrow, and you hear:

Main Menu Button.

That will just take you back to the virticle menu we were in.

If you down arrow again, you will just hear blank.

Down arrow, again, and you hear:

Settings again, but now, this is a heading. You can get here just by
pressing H at the top of the page.

If you down arrow, you hear:

Search Settings.

This is where you can type in a setting that you want to change.

Down arrow again, and there is the edit field where you type in the setting

you want to work with.

Down arrow again, and you hear another heading saying people.

Down arrow again, and I hear David Clickable.

This is because I have already signed into Chrome.

Down arrow again, and I hear my Gmail email address.

Again, this is because I have already signed into Chrome to sync my settings

and all of that.

Down arrow again, and I hear:

Edit person.

This is where I could change my name.

Down arrow again, and I hear:

Sign Out.

This is because I have already signed in to Chrome.

Down arrow again, and I hear:

Sync.

Down arrow again, and I hear:

On, Sync everything.

This is a combo box, where you can choose what to sinc; I chose everything
in this combo box.

Again, all of this is because I have signed into Chrome already.

Down arrow again, and you hear:

Sync button.

Down arrow again, and you hear:

Manage other people clickable.

Don't worry about the clickables. There is a clickable for many things, but

then there is the button you enter on right after that.

Down arrow again, and you hear:

Manage other people button.

This is what you would press enter on to set up another user.

Down arrow again, and you hear:

Import bookmarks and settings Clickable:

Down arrow again, and you actually hear

Import bookmarks and settings button.

Here, you press enter and import all of your bookmarks and settings from
other Browsers like IE.

This is another way of doing this, because remember,

We had a choice of manage bookmarks in the book marks sub menu in the
virticle menu.

There is more than one place to do things in Chrome.

Now, we have a series of headings, that you can just press H for heading, to

get to.

Now, we have gotten to the appearance heading. Down arrow and you hear:

themes, which I did nothing with.

Next, you can open the Chrome web store. You can get hundreds of extentions,

and more.

Then, you hear Themes button.

Do nothing with this.

Next, you hear:

Show home clickable.

Just skip that.

There are many buttons that say clickable, and then there is a button that
you actually press enter on to work with it.

Just work with the buttons, and skip over these vclickables.

Down arrow, and you have an edit box where you can put in your home page you

want to get to by pressing Alt+Home.

Next, there is the home button toggle.

Press the spacebar to turn this on or off. If it is on, you can have the
home button show at the top of the Chrome Window.

I have it checked.

Now, there are two radio buttons, and I chose the one to enter with a custom

web address.

Search Heading:

We are at another heading, where you can set your search Engine.

There is a combo box below, and I set it to Chrome, because I like to have
my searches from the address bar done with Crome instead of Bing.

Next heading:

Default Browser.

Here, you can choose weather you want Chrome to be your default browser or
not.

Just leave this alone if you do not want Chrome to be your default browser.

Next Important heading:

On Start up.

Here is where you put in your URL that you want to show as soon as you start

Chrome.

There are three radio buttons to pick from, but I chose to open with a
specific page or pages, which is the third radio button.

Under this, you can type in the URL of the web site that you want to open
when you start Chrome.

Under this, there is a link where you can add more pages you want to show
when Chrome starts up.

Now, we are up to the search engin heading.

This is a heading.

There are headings on this settings page.

I chose to use Google search engin in the address bar. This is a combo box.

The next heading, is on start up.

Finally, here is where you set up your home page.

There are three radio buttons here.

I chose the third one, to open a selected page or selected pages.

Next, I was able to enter:

www.Google.Com.

That is my home page that will open each time I start Chrome.

Next important group of settings, the advanced settings.

Now, you have to press enter on the advanced settings button before more
headings of settings will show.

The Advanced settings are collapsed, so you have to press enter to show more

headings of settings.

Now that these advanced settings are open, we get to the next heading of
settings.

There is much more we can customize under the advanced settings.

Privacy and security heading:

Down arrow from here, and you hear:

Use a web service to resolve navigation errors.

You have a clickable, and a toggle.

Press spacebar to toggle this on or off.

Again, ignore the clickables.

Now you have:

Use a prodiction service to enable you in searches.

I left this unchecked.

Next, you have a setting to speed up the loading of web pages:

I checked this with spacebar.

The next three settings I just left alone.

I checked the one that says:

Use a web service to help with spelling.

I leave manage certificates alone.

Next, you have content settings, but this is not a new heading.

We are still working with the same heading.

The only thing of interest here, is the clear history button.

This was available in the virtical menu, so don't worry about this.

Now, we get to the next heading of settings.

Passwords and forms:

Under this heading, just make sure that you check to be able to have Chrome

save passwords.

Languages Heading:

I did nothing with this.

Downloads heading:

This is where you choose where you want your downloads to be saved on your
computer.

Printing heading:

I did nothing with this.

Accessibility heading:

I did nothing with this.

Now, we have the System heading:

Down arrow, and you hear:

Continue running background apps, when Google Chrome is Closed.

I have this unchecked.

Next,

Use hard ware excelloration when Available.

I have this checked.

Next, you hear:

Open proxy settings button.

I left this alone.

Last Heading LOL!

Reset.

Here, you can reset all settings back to their origional.

We are done with Settings.

Now, just press CTRL+F4 to get back to the Freedom Scientific Web site.

This settings web page, opens in another tab.

That is it for settings.

Notice, we made a lot of changes under the advanced settings. You cannot see

these, unless you press enter to expand these.

Now, press the Alt key again. Up arrow once to get to the end of the menu
where we were with the settings.

You see exit, up arrow and you see the help sub menu, right under the
settings choice.

I press right arrow on this help sub menu, and you can enter on the help
center to get a lot of help using Chrome.

To open a web site, just press CTRL+L or Alt+D and type the URL.

Chrome for me, is so much quicker with web sites that involve streamming TV

and Watching movies, and so on.

For me, Chrome opens large news sites very quickly compared to IE.

Lastly, All JAWS and NVDA navigation key commands work in Chrome. For
example, you can press F7 to open a list of links with JAWS, and the
elements list with NVDA. All of that is the exact same.

This is the end of the tutorial