Re: academics and employment

Well its the nature of it.

Anyone can use it, so potential is always there.

That doesn't mean with comercial software thats not the case, but opensource compaired to the old systems is still new, the older software models existed way before the net and while some industries, music, books and to some extent film have switched over or at least accept the digital age, emulation, and a few other industries are trying to find where to go some industries do not.

Opensource is accepted to an extent but its not complete.

People are a bit more warey of stuff they are not used to especially if anyone can get access to it.

Companies have never liked that idea long before the net came into being.

They still don't like that idea, and in the future they probably still won't.

And to be honest, dropping security for something else, well who knows.

The unknown is our greatest fear so.

Chances are that the small to medium sized businesses, charities, and organisations may try, they don't have much to loose, the big guys, governments and big companies, enterprises, etc may accept a change but have a lot to lose, so they won't immediately change, doesn't mean they are not thinking about it.

Way before nvda was accepted generally, I was talking to a friend who was a distributer of dolphin products.

While nvda was not acknowledged by them it was accepted, even noted as something that could become big certainly they were aware of its existance.

The issue with some of the big guys is that even if they were able to say, no to something or yes to another thing, to move forward immediately probably souldn't be done.

So what we have is the public face of it.

Just because someone says no, it doesn't me no, never, it could be no, not right now, for all you know its something to watch, maybe later, maybe not, it all depends.

There was a talk about security and encription in the news.

Its a given that the police and others may need access to our private information, moniter what we do and spy on all our data.

But to get that sort of access, keys and other things would have to be given, back doors and dumb downs would have to be added into encription for those agencies to access our stuff.

The fact is its a good idea.

But the other end of this stick is that we all know that its not.

Companies often seem to loose mis issue or otherwise security keys and certifficates thats why we have all those expired or dropped things, people do drop their keys.

The fact that the keys are out there could potentially mean someone will find them, get them, sell them, drop them, etc.

Then you have a security problem.

There is not a right or wrong here but what do you accept.

For a company, I'd imagine the safest approach, it may be the crappiest most expensive approach, it may not make sence, they may be even better approaches, but the fact is that those are unknown, or not used well enough.

Who knows.

Point is there is always going to be a small disconnect between the free/opensource and others.

And nothing is actually free, really.

Weather its adds, or something like opencandy, weather its sourceforge model where malware is part of the stuff, subscriptions, donations, etc, someone has to pay.

On 8/19/2018 11:19 PM, Felix G. wrote:
Hi!
Personally, I find it weird how persistent the fairy tale about open source
software being insecure turns out to be, especially when it comes to screen
readers. Is the constitution of the United States insecure because anyone
can read it? I can download it and publish my own wildly edited copy but
that would not put it into effect for anyone because everyone knows where
the original can be found. On the other hand, if the original were hidden
from citizens but still applied in court then would that not place people
at the risk of arbitrary judgment? Similarly, don't we all take enormous
leaps of faith every time we use software which only a select few can
inspect? I pose that a closed-source environment is the perfect hiding
place for malware if it behaves inconspicuously enough. I'm not implying
that any particular software contains malware. I'm just making an abstract
statement following my own logic because I don't get why so many people
arrive at a different conclusion. They can't all have been brainwashed. ;)
Best,
Felix

Walker, Michael E. (UMSL-Student) <mewx8b@...> schrieb am So.,
19. Aug. 2018 um 05:55 Uhr:

Thank you for sharing this! In my humble opinion, you did an excellent
job. I am a developer in my early career. I am very familiar with GitHub.
Thank you for sharing, for those of us who are not.

Mike