From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Felix G.
Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2018 6:20 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] academics and employment

Hi!

Personally, I find it weird how persistent the fairy tale about open source software being insecure turns out to be, especially when it comes to screen readers. Is the constitution of the United States insecure because anyone can read it? I can download it and publish my own wildly edited copy but that would not put it into effect for anyone because everyone knows where the original can be found. On the other hand, if the original were hidden from citizens but still applied in court then would that not place people at the risk of arbitrary judgment? Similarly, don't we all take enormous leaps of faith every time we use software which only a select few can inspect? I pose that a closed-source environment is the perfect hiding place for malware if it behaves inconspicuously enough. I'm not implying that any particular software contains malware. I'm just making an abstract statement following my own logic because I don't get why so many people arrive at a different conclusion. They can't all have been brainwashed. ;)

Best,

Felix

Walker, Michael E. (UMSL-Student) <mewx8b@...> schrieb am So., 19. Aug. 2018 um 05:55 Uhr:

Thank you for sharing this! In my humble opinion, you did an excellent job. I am a developer in my early career. I am very familiar with GitHub. Thank you for sharing, for those of us who are not.

Mike