Re: Spell Checking With NVDA

Jason White

The spelling checker in Microsoft Word is working well here in NVDA (latest Office 365 Windows installed version)

The misspelled word and original sentence are red automatically; I can then use tab to move to the suggestions. I don’t need to use object navigation at all.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Wilco
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 5:58 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Spell Checking With NVDA

Hi,

I realise from a quick root around on this board that the question of how NVDA handles the spell checker in MS Word is not a new issue. I don’t want to waste anyone’s time, but since this is such a crucial issue for me I just wanted to triple check that I have understood the situation correctly.

We’re running Word 2016 at work at the moment. Am I right in thinking that NVDA will only read the different parts of the spell check dialogue if you navigate around using the object navigation commands?

With JAWS, when I go to spell check a document, JAWS will automatically say something like ‘spelling’, then announce the misspelt word, then ‘suggestions’ and then the first word in the list of suggested replacements, which is where the focus is. All this is announced automatically, without the need for any navigating around or keyboard commands. Then, if the first suggestion isn’t the one I want, I can cursor up and down and use the keyboard shortcuts for change or ignore etc.

It’s a really slick implementation of the spell checker dialogue because it means I can skip through a big document really quickly, and if the first suggestion is the one I want, which it is a lot of the time, I can just press C or I without the need to waste time navigating around and digging up what my options are for each spelling error, which feels massively clunky and time consuming by comparison.

As a professional writer, if it is correct that NVDA doesn’t offer any kind of automatic vocal feedback that summarises the spell checker dialogue as a whole, without the need to scout around using navigation keys, then this might be a deal breaker.

Cheers.