From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tyler Wood
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2018 9:04 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] academics and employment

Hi,

Regarding jaws being more heavyweight, I urge folks to copy, paste, or
delete a file in windows explorer with NVDA and see what happens.

For someone who does this on a daily basis for work, this is by far the
biggest shortcoming. It's existed since windows 10 came into being and
still exists today.

There was someone on youtube the other day who had this exact same
problem without any provocation - blind flightsimmer is his name. Shift
tabbing from a file name edit box to try and browse the files, NVDA
remained stubbornly silent whereas jaws read the list, first try.

As far as jaws crashing goes, jaws, for me at least, has been recovering
far more reliably than NVDA. That didn't used to be the case. Ever since
I switched to chrome though NVDA and jaws have both been doing
fantastically in comparison to firefox 60.

On 20-Aug-2018 7:55 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Carrot brousing was usefull in the day for the blind, it made things
more accessible.

Screenreaders were not as smart then.

It was back in 1995 it was usefull.

Not so much now, os and readers are smarter now.

On 8/21/2018 12:47 PM, Gene wrote:
These things must be tested before it is known if they are at all
useful.  Karret browsing is of no benefit to blind users.  I tested
it because I thought that was what I had seen when I tested it a long
time ago and my memory is correct.

When you turn it on, if you were in browse mode, you stay in browse
mode.  If you turn browse mode off, nothing is different from having
karret mode off.   You hear nothing or nothing meaningful when you
move using movement keys and you can't select text with shift and
arrow keys.