Re: strange stuff happening with the latest version of NVDA and Windows 1803

Annette Moore

Hi, Tony. It's a pain in the rear, but try restarting NVDA when you encounter treeview lists that won't read. it happens with me in Explorer. when I restart NVDA, it usually corrects the issue--at least for a while anyway. Maximizing the window will also tell you on what item your cursor is placed, but again, it's a pain to arrow through and keep hitting alt+space, then x and reading the current line. Alternatively, close all of your Explorer windows and reopen them. Or go do something else for about five minutes and then return to your PC. If you get too frustrated, try another screen reader. These are the things I've done to deal with this problem. I keep hoping with each Windows update or NVDA update that the issue will be corrected, but so far it hasn't been. It isn't a deal breaker. there's something in another screen reader that drives me even more bonkers, and that's how the insert key randomly stops working. At least it doesn't do that in NVDA. I can live with the treeview lists not reading because I can always restart NVDA, but when the insert key quits working, I can't restart the other screen reader because that's one of the keys used to restart it. Anyway, I hope this is somewhat helpful for you. Take care.

Annette

On 8/22/2018 6:55 PM, Tony Ballou wrote:
Howdy Folks,

Not sure where to pinpoint this issue, but here's the deal.

When I try to read the list of files in my folders, NVDA simply will say
tree view and not tell me any of the folder contents.  It also doesn't
speak when I arrow through the list.

Another thing that also happens is that windows will say task switching
when I try to press alt-tab to move around the screen.  To get things to
properly function, I have to press the space bar to get it to tell me
what window I'm on. Another thing that happens is that I have to use the
f10 function key to navigate to the menus, because the alt key doesn't
work.   Does anyone have any ideas about this strange behavior.  I've
got the latest version of NVDA and windows 1803.  Thanks in advance.

Tony